Editor (Local Candidates Only)
LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY
You’re tired of pushing clickbait, ephemeral “content,” and we’re tired of reading it. That’s why we’re looking for an editor with style and local perspective to help us launch a new monthly publication full of culture, lifestyle and thoughtful local reportage and commentary. Are you an editorial Swiss Army Knife who feels just as comfortable mapping out the editorial calendar and enforcing deadlines as you do spinning up a feature story or a buzzy sidebar? Please read on…
We are an established Bay Area media company preparing to expand with new titles. The editor we seek will oversee all elements of magazine production, including issuing article and art assignments, developing and overseeing a wide-ranging pool of freelance contributors, functioning as the primary liaison between advertising and design personnel, and guiding the publication’s long range strategy. The successful candidate will be ready to dive in and make an impression with respect to editorial quality, organizational efficiency, and strategic direction as we move to find new and creative ways to engage our core audience both in print and online. We want our editor to have great style and to set the tone for the publication from cover to cover.
The editor will work closely with the magazine publisher and our executive staff to set the editorial direction for the monthly print magazine and future digital endeavors. Most important, the editor will ensure a smoothly functioning overall operation as well as the timeliness, quality, voice and accuracy of editorial materials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and oversees editorial, production, and accounting processes to ensure smooth operational flow. Sets and monitors editorial calendar and deadlines at all stages of production.
- Develops and maintains a strong pool of freelance talent to provide copy, illustration and photography for the publication.
- Writes and edits departments and features for the print publication and website.
- Serves as primary copy editor, making decisions on usage, style, and cuts/adds for space issues.
- Oversees responses to freelance queries. Works with Publisher to respond appropriately.
- Supervises art and production staff to ensure tight integration between copy and visuals.
- Acts as primary liaison between editorial and advertising departments as well as between editorial and art departments.
- Works with Publisher and ownership to ensure that the publication (both print and online) stays within annual budget. Tracks month-to-month expenditures. Helps ensure that all paperwork for contracted writers is submitted in a timely manner.
- Conducts fact-checking as part of the copy review process. Coordinates and supervises the efforts of other contributors who may be involved in reviewing copy.
- Trains and directs editorial interns for fact-checking, writing and research projects.
- Writes and/or edits editorial copy as necessary.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as required.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Exceptional people skills—as both a communicator and as a manager
- Flawless copy writing and line-editing skills
- Multi-tasking and organization wizard—able to shift priorities on a dime
- Ability to act as a tastemaker for the publication, identifying stories that are both on brand and will resonate with readers
- Clever and curious – desire to figure out what delights our audience and find new and creative ways to deliver it.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field
- At least five years of experience editing/writing in deadline-driven environment, managing a staff or team of contributors
- Demonstrated experience overseeing freelance staff, enforcing deadlines, managing editorial calendars
- You’ve built and/or managed a content-rich magazine or web publication
- Stellar editing skills and eye for quality and on-brand content
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once with a sense of urgency required to work in a deadline-driven environment
- Positive attitude, team player with professional demeanor
LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY