Deputy Editor - amNY.com
amNY.com, the website for New York City’s most-read newspaper, is looking for a Deputy Editor who is as obsessed with this town as being first with accurate, compelling content. This position sets the day-to-day editorial direction of the quickly growing amNY.com, overseeing the planning of news and features while mindful of engaging users on mobile and social media. From our midtown offices and under the direction of the Editor-in-Chief, the Deputy Editor also helps us stay on top of emerging technologies and deftly adapts to meet our audience’s needs.
The Deputy Editor’s responsibilities include:
- Directing a team of editors and producers overseeing the NYC-centric site’s marquee sections, including breaking news, politics, entertainment and food, daily – all while staying organized.
- Demonstrating strong knowledge of NYC news, trends and city life, and writing sharp headlines and editing copy. Juggling a variety of daily tasks, including project management and strategic planning.
- Identifying important stories – early.
- Pitching in wherever needed, from running point in a breaking news situation to troubleshooting technological issues.
- Consuming the latest research about online traffic and design, with a focus on increasing traffic and user engagement.
- Implementing our social media strategy and overseeing quality of posts.
- Avidly using new technologies and being a heavy consumer of digital journalism, with a particular focus on emerging mobile strategies and trends.
- Training and mentoring employees. Being familiar with New York City and keeping the focus on citywide projects and information.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism and at least five years’ newsroom web publishing experience. Range of experience (from hard news to features content) a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly turn around content and to self-edit.
- Editor-in-chief, section editor or senior producer at a news website.
- Significant management experience.
- Track record of increasing page views, unique visits, social media engagement and other metrics-based accomplishments, as well as proficiency in pulling and interpreting metrics.
- Flexibility to work various shifts, including into the evening and weekends as warranted.
- Strong knowledge of all things New York.
- Knowledge of AP Style and SEO best practices.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.