Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
BioMed Central is looking to hire a Global Head of Health Sciences to lead the business and editorial strategy of Springer Nature’s open access (OA) health sciences academic journals. This group consists of 235 journals and 50+ editorial and publishing staff across the globe. Given the global nature of this role we could appoint in either our London or New York office.
This is a key management position and will see you take responsibility for revenue growth from this important sector of our market through the development of the portfolio and the journals within it. This will include setting the overall strategy for the portfolio, agreeing targets and development plans, setting objectives and managing the staff in the group to deliver on these targets.
Key responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the overall ORG Academic Journals publishing strategy and financial planning as part of the leadership team.
- Developing and implementing a strategic plan for the portfolio and translating into goals for the team.
- Leadership of the publishing and editorial staff within the health sciences team who are responsible for identifying and acquiring new or transfer journals and maximizing revenue growth through effective journal development strategies
- Keep up to date with how the publishing industry and funders are adapting to changes in Open Access and ensure we have good connections with key stakeholders.
Grow and Develop our OA Business
- Achieve and exceed budgeted revenue goals.
- Continuously look for opportunities to launch and acquire profitable new titles of the appropriate quality.
- Understand the changes in customer needs and digital advances and work with others in ORG to develop innovative products and services that meet these continuously evolving needs.
- Monitor identified KPIs to identify trends and ensure that corrective actions can be taken when problems are identified.
- Ensure successful development of health sciences journals business with a strong focus on acquiring journals that are likely to deliver a high return and attract and retain the best authors.
Define and scope best in class systems and processes for our current and future OA offerings
- Contribute to the development of systems and processes which improve the author experience and allow us to report and monitor activity effectively.
Develop and maintain relationships with key personnel and stakeholders
- Build strong relationships with key internal personnel including colleagues in the rest of the Open Research Group (ORG), Nature Research Group (NRG) and Springer Research Group (SRG) to maximize opportunities to collaborate and achieve Springer Nature wide success.
- Build and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders including society partners, institutions, funders and individuals to act as an ambassador for the ORG, BMC and Springer Nature brands.
Manage staff in accordance with Springer Nature values and behaviors
- Build and develop a global health sciences team to undertake the functions within your area of responsibility, ensuring appropriate training (both formal and on the job.)
- Hold appraisals with staff, and regular catch-up meetings to monitor performance against agreed goals and KPIs.
- Provide support and challenge to get the best from all staff within the health sciences team.
- Ensure that team members are aware of personal and group goals and how their role contributes.
- Act as a local champion to the ORG US team to encourage collaboration, engagement and team building.
- Educated to a degree level, preferably an advanced degree, in a health sciences topic or equivalent experience.
- Extensive experience in STM publishing, preferably open access.
- Clear understanding and support of the open access business model.
- Proven strong leadership and coaching skills, and experience in managing remote teams.
- Financial management skills including P&L management at the portfolio level.
- Demonstrates a solid track record of managing and developing a large portfolio of journals.
- Demonstrable experience of new business development and revenue growth.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Highly effective communicator, able to represent the Open Research Group internally and externally as required.
- Proven strong experience within and knowledge of the global open access market and its drivers.
- Willingness to travel significantly (40% or more.)
For US employees we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is
The Law Poster: