Vice President, Managing Editor
We are looking for a passionate and experienced VP/Managing Editor to join our team and play a major role in the launch of an exciting new information brand in the health space.
Reporting to the CEO, the VP/Managing Editor will lead the day-to-day execution of our video and text content. The ideal candidate for this job is driven by the desire to tell stories and create factual content that speaks to millions of people with integrity, accessibility, clarity, and occasional levity. Our managing editor should have exceptional journalistic and intellectual rigor as a baseline. S/he should have the ability, and desire, to manage the creation of a large, very detailed body of content. This will require superb skills as a senior-level producer for video content and a great editor of text content.
You should be a conversational writer and know how to get in an edit room to produce short and long form content. You should also be able to edit excellent text content.
As this is a digital company, a deep understanding of how to evaluate and develop audience is needed. Interest in health is important, direct experience working in this area is not essential.
The ideal candidate has a "get it done" outlook. This is a 100% hands-on, do what's needed, roll-up your sleeves start-up environment. We place a high value on creativity, meticulousness, high energy, and the ability to solve problems and invent solutions. In return, you'll get to be a key leader of a very exciting new company that's going to have a big impact.
We care about hiring and retaining key talent and are structuring great incentives for our key hires.
- Build, in conjunction with the leadership team, a dynamic, professional, nimble and integrated multimedia (text, video, photos, data visualization and infographics) content publishing operation:
- Creation: voice; tone; ideation; assignment; planning; producing/editing
- Packaging: UX/UI; SEO; imagery; headline and display copy writing
- Distribution: audience development; social media; newsletters; syndication; thought leadership
- Analytics: audience behavior; benchmarking staff and audience metrics, and development
- Rapidly scale audience and engagement on the website, social media channels and partner platforms
- Deploy and utilize analytics across the operation to understand and benchmark content consumption, user behavior, and staff performance and priorities
- Develop editorial workflows, process and procedures
- In partnership with the Production and Technology Directors, craft and maintain budgets, manage staffing schedules, negotiate contracts
- Shape and nurture talent, helping them develop their voices and roles
- Create a culture of transparency, collaboration and accountability
- Significant experience with, or a very a strong interest in wellness or health content
- Proven experience as a video producer: A track record of creating, editing and producing top-notch text and video
- Proven success in growing audience numbers and increasing audience engagement — across multiple platforms
- A deep understanding of data and analytics as used on the web, mobile and key social platforms: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Fluency in the key differences for programming and community management for specific social platforms
- Fluency in digital production: Experience in operating a CMS to nimbly and creatively build content packages; a thorough understanding of SEO; and proficiency in building product, UI and UX
- Ability to work on deadline
- Ability to deliver against a defined set of metrics and key performance indicators (KPI), on deadline and under budget
- Ability to work collaboratively, in an open, friendly manner. Must be organized, detail-oriented and resourceful; stellar interpersonal and problem-solving skills required
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Bachelor’s Degree and 10 years experience in content production, with at least 5 years as a senior leader at a digital operation