Job Title: Community Manager
Department: Global Press Journal
Location: Washington D.C.
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Compensation: DOE, matching 401k, health/vision/dental
Start date: January 2, 2018
Please submit resume and well-written cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15.
Why You Want This Job:
Global Press has an 11-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the globe. Global Press aims to create systemic change in the field of international journalism by revolutionizing the business model by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams, revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure accuracy and accountability and repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception. Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment.
We are looking for an energetic, hard-working community manager who will support our global team of reporters and editors to create world-class international journalism every day.
On a Typical Day at Global Press You Will:
- Facilitate multi-platform, cross-cultural communication in one of the world’s most diverse newsrooms.
- Create and maintain media assets for GPJ’s regional team of reporters including press passes, business cards and local media accreditation badges.
- Assist the editors in processing a variety of global payments to reporters working in multiple countries around the world.
- Coordinate global travel for reporters, editors.
- Facilitate logistics for training webinars and virtual editorial meetings.
- Attend editorial, engagement and development meetings to create action lists for members of the global leadership team.
- Work with editors on complex research and fact-checking projects.
- Regularly engage with the global training staff to measure training needs and report back to editorial team.
- Assist in the tracking of reporters performance, safety and contracts using the Global Press Reporter Database
- Assist with reporter recruitment as Global Press opens new bureaus around the world.
- Maintain password and subscription databases for all software and tools used by the global editorial team.
- Assist with outreach and recruitment to build On-Call Talent Network.
The successful candidate will have 2+ years of professional experience and a degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field. He/she must have exceptional organizational skills and written/oral communication skills. Proven ability to navigate multi-cultural environments is a must. Some newsroom experience is preferred.
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who:
• Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
• Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
• Believe in the power of high-quality information and human stories to change our world
• Thrive in a collaborative environment where team members can be honest with one another and aim to be better today than they were yesterday
About Global Press:
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by employing local journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places.
Rejecting the mainstream model of foreign correspondence, which deploys elite outsiders on short-term assignments, Global Press trains and employs a diverse population of journalists in the developing media markets where they live to produce context-rich, nuanced news coverage that provides local and global audiences with high-quality, professional news that elevates awareness and creates actionable opportunities for citizens.
Comprised of three brands that form a holistic social enterprise, Global Press is an international media company dedicated to reinventing both the craft and business of global journalism. Global Press operates a training program, Global Press Institute, an award-winning news publication, Global Press Journal, and an innovative syndication division, Global Press News Service.
Global Press aims to produce news from more than 100 countries, becoming the world’s leading news source from the developing world.