The Daily Dot is the web’s most comprehensive source for original internet news and among the fastest growing media companies in the world. Our content reaches 15 million readers each month. We tell the story of the internet each day with uninhibited reporting on the people, apps, memes, and movements shaping the internet generation.
The Daily Dot is looking for an editor, preferably Austin- or West Coast-based, to effectively run the newsroom during weeknights (exact hours to be determined). The editor will ensure that the company is on top of breaking news across a number of key sections and that coverage is accessible to the broadest possible audience. This individual will be working with a small staff and will see stories through from pitching to promotion, helping the Daily Dot not only end the day on a high note but also start the next day right.
Roles and responsibilities
- Find, assign, and edit news stories, ensuring that each one has appropriate art and multimedia
- Help develop and execute social media strategy, including Facebook and Twitter
- Lead by example, with a set number of well-sourced stories per week
- Participate in regular editorial meetings
- Complete any other duties as assigned
Desired skills and expertise
- You have 2+ years of journalism experience
- Skilled in finding, pitching, and editing coverage on all the day’s most vital and viral stories
- A thorough understanding of how to use Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr, and other online communities for finding stories
- A proven ability to meet deadlines
- Skilled in multitasking and prioritizing in a rapidly changing environment
- Fluent in AP Style and in-house style guidelines and familiar with best practices for SEO
- Experience working as a part of and/or managing a virtual team (a plus)
The Daily Dot recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each employee consistent with the Daily Dot’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to our families, employees, and community when the Daily Dot supports a diverse workforce.
We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.