Content Marketing Manager
CommonBond is a fast-growing startup that is building the first values-driven, customer-centric financial services company and we’re looking for people that share our desire to achieve our lofty goals. We are beginning our mission by tackling the broken student lending market and changing the way people think about student loans. We accomplish this with lower interest rates for our borrowers, a state-of-the art technology platform, and high touch customer service. Additionally, our 1 for 1 model is the first of its kind in financial services: for every degree fully funded on the CommonBond platform, we fund the education of a child abroad for year through a partnership with Pencils of Promise. We are backed by great investors, have a killer team, and are growing rapidly!
We are looking for a Content Marketer to join our marketing team to increase awareness of CommonBond among our target audience and continue to position CommonBond as an authority within student loans and personal finance. This role will report to our Vice President of Marketing.
In terms of your background you may be coming from a content/writing/editing role at a content provider or consumer news publication. The common thread is that you are an experienced writer/editor, passionate about personal finance, creative with story ideas, and eager to engage across channels including email, social media, and SEO. In all situations, you possess a relentless, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude.
As the Content Manager, you will be responsible for writing and editing content that we will publish on our blog and 3rd party sites.
We expect to publish 2-3 pieces of original content each week in an effort to achieve goals across brand positioning and traffic. Our products are designed for audiences including Millennials that are in their early-20s through 30s as well as their parents, and as such, we seek to create content that is original (not just a keyword-stuff SEO play), authentic, and informative. By creating this content both on our blog as well as finding impactful sites that we can publish on, you will help raise the awareness of CommonBond that leads to increased site traffic and, ultimately, leads.
Examples of projects we expect you will take on:
- Drive and execute our editorial content strategy for our 3 products (2 consumer products and 1 B2B product), balancing creating engaging content while incorporating best practices around SEO
- Ensure all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, and print.
- Create white papers and research that demonstrates thought leadership which can, in turn, help our borrowers and attract press.
- Identify 3rd party, impactful publications for us to amplify our message through and create content for.
- Experience – you’re an experienced writer/editor and you must have a passion for personal finance. There is a huge opportunity for an authentic, intelligent, and clear voice to emerge in the millennial personal finance content arena…and we want it to be you behind it.
- Nimble – you will be equally adept at explaining student loan content as you are profiling a customer’s startup or creating a white paper on how to refinance student loans.
- Analytical – you enjoy looking at the backend metrics to measure the traction your content is getting and the downstream impact it has on customer acquisition. Numbers won’t be your entire day, but you’re someone that wants that type of feedback loop.
- Roll-up-your-sleeves mentality – we’re a small team, everyone including our executive team gets their hands dirty to get stuff done, even if it’s not in our immediate purview.
- Desire to be a marketer – We’re excited to integrate content into our overall marketing plan; in fact, we see it as a critical component and you’ll play a significant role in the integration. This means developing ideas for content to be at the forefront of marketing campaigns and developing SEO strategies for that content.
- Desire to be an editor – In addition to writing yourself, you’ll be editing content from CommonBond customers, team members and freelance writers; you need to help them shape their stories and be an arbiter of best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style.
- Expert multi-tasking – you’ll manage blog content, 3rd party content, white-papers, and special projects…and things will move quickly. You will remain undaunted, organized, and juggle these tasks without letting the ball drop. You will know how to ruthlessly prioritize your time.
- Professional but not stuffy – we’re sharp and competent but also fun.
- Team player – you want to be relied upon and you understand how others make your goals achievable.
- Sense of urgency – you want to “go, move, make things happen, and shake things up!”
- Minimum 4+ years of experience writing professionally.
- Previous experience in startups, experience writing about personal finance, and experience with audience development strategies are a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree and an objectively strong academic record