FT Associate Editor to Help Executives Refine Their Thought Leadership Content
- Full Time
CommunityCo is seeking a full-time associate editor to join our team for a unique editorial role that sits at the crossroads of journalism and content marketing. Alongside a team of awesome senior and associate editors, you'll work 1-on-1 with our incredible members (some of the world’s smartest professionals, startup founders, C-level executives and business owners) to help them edit and publish thought leadership articles for websites including Forbes, Inc., The Huffington Post and more.
People who thrive on our editorial team understand both sides of the coin: what makes a good article great, and how great content can elevate a member's brand and build trust with an audience.
It's all part of our mission at CommunityCo, where we build and manage communities for various brands’ professional, SMB and executive-level customers in order to create greater engagement and strengthen customer loyalty. Currently, those communities include YEC, a world-renowned community for entrepreneurs, and branded communities in partnership with Forbes and Men’s Health.
- Editing several dozen articles per week, per various partners’ style guides, often on very tight deadlines. Our writers have different levels of experience, so editing may involve detailed feedback and several rounds of work. Other pieces might just need a quick copy edit.
- Regularly meeting with Executive Editor to discuss challenges and successes and report on departmental metrics.
- Delivering content to media partners via content management systems or email on or before the deadline — and scheduling follow-ups.
- Overseeing article publication links and providing metrics reports (articles edited, published, etc.).
- Pushing member content live on our various properties daily.
- Reading articles for placement in the editorial calendar.
- Updating our editorial queue and calendar.
- Generating topic ideas specific to your vertical (most editors end up working with specific member groups, so you might focus more on marketing, technology, real estate, etc., depending on what is needed).
- Interacting with busy members regarding their submissions in a professional, courteous and helpful way.
- 2 or more post-college years of professional copywriting/journalism/PR/content marketing and/or editorial experience; business journalism or copywriting experience is a plus.
- Impeccable grammar, spelling and communication skills are a must
- Solid understanding and experience with AP Style and web publishing
- Basic HTML knowledge (h2s, links, etc.)
- Experience with WordPress or similar content management system
- A desire to help the world’s top leaders translate their expertise into storytelling
- Professional, courteous and drama-free approach to interpersonal communication and author feedback is a MUST
THE IDEAL ASSOCIATE EDITOR…
- Is VERY detail-oriented and naturally inquisitive/critical. Editing requires a strong desire to learn, check facts, and double-check your own work (from word choice to headline capitalization) — preferably using your own careworn dictionary/stylebook.
- Has a strong editorial track record (print or web) — demonstrated experience in content marketing, copywriting, journalism and/or copyediting/proofing.
- Is a team player and personable communicator who can both take feedback w/o ego AND provide the same to our awesome community.
- Has great time and project management skills. Deadlines are not optional.
- Is willing to ask for help when they need it — or, on the flip side, take the lead on a system or process he/she feels they can improve. The right person will adapt the role to them.
- Is a voracious reader who loves behind-the-scenes business reporting. We work with big media players (Inc., Forbes, Fast Company) and game-changing C-level execs/founders/professionals/business owners. Your willingness to develop an understanding of the subject matter and tune into trends is crucial to your success.
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- $40,000/year salary (to start) with growth opportunities based on performance
- Optional health benefits kick in after a 60-day probationary period (company pays $375/month)
- Optional 401(k) with up to 4% company match
- Vacation time for all major holidays, plus 2 weeks of PTO every year
- Additional vacation time is negotiable based on individual’s performance.
- Location/Hours: Boston-area candidates must be willing to commute to our Seaport office daily and work 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., except during “Remote Work Fridays.” If you are outside the Boston area, we prefer that you work the same hours so you can attend scheduled meetings and chat with the team, although this is negotiable based on your timezone. Please clarify your needs in the cover letter.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, send your cover letter, resume and writing clips to jobs[at]community[dot]co with "Associate Editor: CommunityCo” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please include:
- WHY do you want to work for CommunityCo?
- WHY are you the perfect fit for the job?
- WHY are you passionate about editing?
(Applications without cover letters addressing these three questions will not be considered.)
Qualified candidates will be asked to take a one-hour editing test to demonstrate baseline knowledge of AP style, grammar, spelling, etc.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this role and responsibilities may change at any time.