Tech Startup Communications Associate
We are looking for Communications Associates to join the fast-growing tech startup behind the Citizen app. We are based in Downtown Manhattan, backed by top-tier Silicon Valley venture capital. Our mission is to keep people safe and informed. The Citizen app for iOS and Android provides instant alerts about crimes and emergency incidents happening nearby, and creates total transparency with live user-generated video and real-time updates around the clock.
This is an hourly position with significant growth opportunities for candidates who become core contributors. Please note that we run a 24/7 operation. We are currently hiring for weekend and overnight shifts. These are some of our most action-packed, exciting hours of the operation. We're looking for candidates who have flexible schedules, and enjoy being in on the action. All candidates will begin with a 4-8 week paid training and evaluation period.
Who You Are:
We will give you the skills to monitor various real-time data sources to translate raw information into public safety alerts and detailed narratives. We're looking for candidates who have an interest or experience in the following:
- You have studied journalism, writing, or a similar field.
- You have written news stories or blog posts about current events.
- You follow local news and are interested in what’s happening around your city
- You have listened to police radio or a scanner app.
- You have knowledge of emergency broadcast codes ("10-Codes", e.g.) used by first responders.
- You study maps or have experience with GIS.
- You are interested in contributing to public safety, overall awareness and total transparency.
What We're Looking For:
We need people who are quick on their feet, tech-savvy, and able to produce high-quality work. We expect applicants to:
- Be excited to join a growing startup with a fast-paced culture.
- Be ready to pivot, adapt and learn fast.
- Be familiar with smartphones, computers, and modern consumer technologies.
- Be able to communicate accurately, quickly, and efficiently via text-based chat systems.
- Be able to type at least 70 words per minute with good form.
- Be accurate on-the-fly researchers and fact-checkers.
- Be flawless English speakers and use proper grammar and punctuation 100% of the time.
- Be able to understand spoken English in all dialects.
- Be available to work nights and/or weekends.
- Be comfortable working in a 24/7/365 newsroom environment.
- Be a persistent problem solver who excels at piecing together information to create a complete picture.
What You'll Do:
This role involves working in fast-paced and sometimes high-stress environments where accuracy is key. As an applicant, you should be able to:
- Grow and take on new tasks: You're eager to learn new skills and work outside of your established comfort zone. Your intellectual curiosity drives and motivates you.
- Work with a team: You'll bring a positive attitude and collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented group of writers and researchers.
- Stay focused and present: You can stay alert at all times, producing high-quality work whenever you’re on the clock.
- Exercise good judgment: You'll need to quickly make decisions and determine the gravity of unfolding incidents, discerning when to notify and involve your managers.
- Be trustworthy: You will need to maintain confidential information and never divulge sensitive details at any time.
Benefits & Perks:
We pride ourselves on creating an environment where our employees are inspired to create meaningful work. We also provide you with additional training and tools you need to get the job done well. We provide free food in the office while you work.
If you pass the paid training and evaluation period, you'll have the opportunity to join the company as a full-time employee and receive healthcare and other benefits.
This role involves both creativity and the ability to execute tasks quickly and efficiently. If you'd like to apply, please complete a 1-minute typing test at http://www.ratatype.com/typing-test/ to help us make sure you've got some of the foundational technical skills we're looking for.
- Please include your résumé, and a cover letter with the following information:
- A link to your typing test results (it should look like this: http://www.ratatype.com/u######/certificate/)
- An introduction – tell us why you're interested.
- A link to any writing samples or other narrative-based work you've done in the past.
- A link to your LinkedIn page.