Freelance Editorial Assistant
FREELANCE EDITORIAL ASSISTANT
Forks Over Knives $30/hour, 30 hours/week
Forks Over Knives seeks an enthusiastic Editorial Assistant to support the Editor in Chief in publishing operations across multiple channels, including ForksOverKnives.com, a semi-annual print magazine, social media, video, and more. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the Forks Over Knives mission and familiar with whole-food, plant-based cooking and nutrition. As part of a small, tight-knit team, you will be involved in all aspects of our editorial operation, including planning, coordinating, web production, writing, proofreading, and more.
I. Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
- Monitor news, events, bloggers, and thought leaders in the whole-food, plant-based lifestyle/cooking space, and collaborate with the editor-in-chief to plan new content
- Keep the editorial calendar up to date.
- Liaise with contributors (e.g. writers, recipe developers, photographers, video editors) to ensure timely receipt of contracts and creative deliverables.
- Format articles and recipes in Forks Over Knives style, and proofread copy.
- Build article and recipe posts on WordPress and a custom-built recipe app, including image editing on Photoshop.
- Write recipe introductions, occasional articles, and promo copy as needed
- Provide administrative support to the editor-in-chief.
II. Qualifications & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or equivalent work experience
- At least one year of digital publishing experience required
- Proficient in WordPress, Photoshop, and Excel; familiarity with SEO best practices a plus
- Demonstrated skill in writing, reporting, and content development
- Strong grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills; working knowledge of AP Style
- Demonstrated interest in the whole-food, plant-based lifestyle, cooking and nutrition strongly preferred
- Ability to work from our Santa Monica office
Employment Details and Location:
Forks Over Knives offers a stimulating and dynamic environment as an industry-leading and recognized brand. It is a chance to make a difference in the world and contribute to FOK’s efforts to empower people to live healthier and happier lives. This is a part-time, contract position with the potential to grow over time. Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and mention Editorial Assistant in the subject line for immediate consideration.
Forks Over Knives is a leading global multimedia brand in food and health, built around an award-winning 2011 feature documentary film. The brand focuses on empowering people to live healthier lives by providing the resources and tools to make a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle convenient and enjoyable. Its core businesses are a meal planner, a line of plant-based food products, and an online cooking school. Forks Over Knives also has four best-selling books, a top-rated mobile app, a magazine, and a website that is one of the most popular health and wellness destinations on the web.