Curbed Chicago Editor
- Full Time
Curbed Chicago is seeking a full-time editor to run the website and relevant social platforms.
Are you obsessed with all things neighborhoods, architecture, development, and real estate? Are you a quick, efficient writer comfortable managing freelancers and photographers while turning out newsy stories all day long? If the answers are yes and yes, read on.
First, you need to live in Chicago and, at some deep level, love Chicago. We're hoping to find someone obsessed with some combination of the ins and outs of neighborhoods, architecture, design, parks, urban planning, real estate, and history. Experience at local news coverage, design and shelter websites or other publications is a plus, and real-world reportorial experience is a must. Beyond reporting, the job involves a certain amount of daily writing and the ability to think big. Interest in social media—e.g., you use Twitter and enjoy it—is also mandatory, as the gig involves responsibilities in that sphere.
- 3+ years writing and/or editing for a digital publication
- Familiarity with (or, a deep love of) Curbed, and the ability to master Curbed's editorial voice
- Experience with SEO practices and traffic analytics—and an enthusiasm to master the tools of the trade
- 1+ year publishing to and managing professional Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently—this is a fast-paced job!
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple simultaneous projects with various lead times
- An eye for news, an understanding of which stories work for Curbed, and the ability to see through PR jargon
- Knowledge of real estate development, architecture, and urban planning in Chicago
The ideal candidate:
- A self-starter who can thrive while working independently with minimal supervision
- A team player who can work and learn from centralized team members in order to improve the national reach of Curbed Chicago
- A sharp-eyed editor who can vet pitches and assign/edit stories
- Manage a daily publication schedule with a mix of news, features, and evergreen stories
- Manage Curbed Chicago’s social media account and engage with audience on those platforms when appropriate
- Assign stories and work with part-time associate editor, and freelancers, to develop their ideas
- Stay on top of the news, strive to break news, and know when a story can be tied to something bigger
- Track and meet traffic goals
The job is full-time with salary commensurate with experience, health benefits, and a 401(k).
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, three clips, and a link to an online presence—blog, podcast, Twitter, etc.—that you’re proud of.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.