- Full Time
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the Copy Editor is responsible for proofreading, editing, fact checking and developing content and copy for marketing materials such as emails, social media, fliers, brochures, web content and Queens Library Magazine to promote Queens Library programs, services, and events.
- Prepares completed marketing jobs for printing and shipping including attaching PDF’s and creating labels for branches.
- Develops and creates content for print, digital media, program descriptions and Queens Library magazine. Produces well-researched and accurate content for deadlines.
- Communicate with staff, clients, and other information sources. Must follow company editorial style guide.
- Proofs, edits, fact-checks and re-writes titles and text for print materials (postcards, flyers, posters, brochures) and web-posted PDFs describing and promoting Queens Library programs and events.
- Confers with designers on design and image questions.
- Makes text corrections in InDesign job files and updates PDFs in Reprographics file prior to printing.
- Sends or delivers proofs to job requestors for final approval prior to printing, and follows up as needed for feedback or final approval.
- Proofs, edits, fact-checks and rewrites web text that job requestors enter in LAMPS prior to approving it for posting on the Queens Library website.
- Follows up with job requestors for clarification or more information as needed.
- Where jobs include requests for print materials, repeats the process for print text.
- Checks past print jobs for examples the designer can use as templates or sources of images.
- Forwards approved jobs including rush jobs to designers or provides a list of approved jobs to Marketing Assistant for distribution.
- Approves web text for programs that will appear in downloads of Events Guide.
- Downloads, cross-checks, formats, edits and proofs print and electronic versions of the Monthly Events Guide, including listings for Family, Adult, JobMap, Mail-a-Book, Teen, Children and Other Languages sections.
- Notes job numbers of programs designers can consult for images.
- Determines themes and writes text for front and back covers.
- Reviews, proofs, edits, fact-checks, researches, rewrites or creates titles and text for special projects.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Associates Degree required. Bachelor’s Degree a plus.
- Some experience as a writer/editor of both print and electronic communications required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Must have excellent time management skills with the ability to multitask and work in deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent writing, spelling, and understanding of grammar are essential to the role.
ABOUT QUEENS LIBRARY:
Queens Library is a national and international leader in the delivery of public library service. Innovation and leadership are the hall marks of Queens Library. Our mission is to meet the needs of the community by offering lifelong learning opportunities and ensuring there is a positive impact in the community. Queens Library fulfills its goals by embracing innovation and change. With a history of offering pioneering programs that meet the diverse needs of the most diverse county in the US, Queens Library is a place where innovation and leaders are welcomed. Queens Library a private, non-profit corporation located in Queens, New York and includes 65 service locations with 1,700 employees.
Queens Library is the proud recipient of the following awards: 2009 Library Journal, Library of the Year, 2014 ALA/Information Today, Library of the Future, 2013 ULC Top Innovators, 2013 American-Architect’s Building of the Year (Queens Library at Glen Oaks).
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to: Employment@queenslibrary.org and reference “Copy Editor – EXTERNAL” in the subject line. Resumes will only be accepted by email.
The Queens Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.