Social Media Manager, News
WTTW (Chicago PBS) is looking for an experienced Social Media Manager to increase audience through strategic development of content for social platforms and push/pull distribution vehicles (e.g., email). This person will work with marketing, editorial and digital colleagues to innovate and expand our reach, and support digital content editor to publish stories on wttw.com. This is a one-year contract.
• Develop and execute proactive and strategic plans to grow audience, loyalty, and awareness for WTTW news content and Chicago Tonight across social/digital platforms.
• Generate ideas/create strategy for social media platforms, and other distribution outlets (email, news aggregators, etc.).
• Identify newsworthy trends and generate related content ideas.
• Manage and produce Chicago Tonight and other news social media content; create content assets, including text, image, video and multimedia pieces.
• Work with producers to develop strategy for and produce video and livestream content (news events, talk segments with news staff, etc.).
• Report on live events using Twitter and Instagram Stories.
• Follow, develop and share best practices with producers, correspondents, reporters for editorial use of social media platforms to engage, inform and compel our digital audience, with the goal of growing digital traffic.
• Cultivate strategic relationships and work closely with key media influencers and partners to cross-promote social and digital content.
• Develop, maintain, and share regular reporting documentation for activities and outcomes, and create system for tracking and cataloging placements.
• Help create and document policies and procedures for social media guidelines.
- Excellent writing/editing/fact checking skills
- Tactical understanding of social media and emerging platforms, and experience integrating varied channels into strategy
- Ability to work independently, proactively, persistently, and in a fast-paced manner; ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Ability to collaborate with broadcast producers/correspondents to pitch cross-platform content
- Experience with shooting and editing videos on deadline
- Experience using data collected from analytics tools such as Facebook Insights
- Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects are a plus
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required.