Director, Social Media - PBS KIDS
DEPARTMENT: PBS KIDS Marketing
STATUS: Regular, Full-time, Exempt
The PBS Children’s Media and Education team is dedicated to supporting children’s learning, and we know kids learn best when the adults in their lives are part of the experience.
Parents trust us, kids love us, and teachers are some of our biggest fans. With PBS member stations around the country, we have the reach of media and the ability to impact communities where families live, work and play.
Our Strategy and Engagement team is seeking a Director of Social Media who can create and execute a social media strategy designed to build and grow vibrant communities of parents and teachers. The right candidate will be equal parts writer, analyst, and social media expert, capable of collaborating with a diverse set of colleagues to reach the team’s goals. The candidate will be the guiding force in driving discovery, awareness, and fan evangelism among PBS’ key parent and teacher audiences. The candidate must be passionate about social media and storytelling, serving as a voice for the brand and for the members of the communities we build, helping them to connect and support one another.
- Position PBS KIDS and PBS as brands that parents and teachers seek out to inspire learning with kids
- Create an audience engagement strategy to reach parents and teachers
- Work with the PBS KIDS team to build and execute a social media strategy that is meant to respond to real life in real time
- Lead social media team and coordinate work of production team and content contributors to execute social media strategies and tactics.
- Set the tone, language, editorial positioning, and community guidelines for social media – especially for at-risk-families and the educators who support them
- Oversee the execution of campaigns and work with research to report and analyze performance
- Build relationships online and offline to spur brand ambassador endorsements and content partnerships
- Ensure that the social media team adheres to guidelines and best practices in all forms of communication
- Monitor analytics for key insights to evolve social media content and audience development
- Stay ahead of what’s next in the evolving parent, education, and digital media landscapes
ATTRIBUTES PARTICULAR TO THIS ROLE:
- A community builder, who can serve as a voice for the brand to each key audience
- A goal-oriented strategist who is steadfast in defining objectives, measuring success, and iterating based on performance
- An obsessive follower of media trends and insights and how and where audiences consume information
- A passionate advocate for the parent and teacher communities within PBS Children’s Media & Education
- An enthusiastic self-starter who is proactive and curious
- A storyteller who understands how to best develop content for each social media platform
- An excellent writer with strong editing skills
- An innovator, willing to experiment, and to roll up your sleeves to get the work completed on time and budget
- A leader with a customer service mindset, with the ability to sense a crisis and respond effectively and on brand
- A keen eye for social asset development
- A strong understanding of key analytics and monitoring tools
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 7+ years of leading successful social media strategy and content creation and curation experience, including data analysis and hands-on experience developing and implementing campaigns
MINIMUM EDUCATION/TRAINING REQUIRED:
Bachelor degree in Journalism, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field (or equivalent work experience)
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities