- Full Time
We’re looking for a Managing Editor who can help Mystery Science produce the highest quality instructional content possible. Your job will be to lead our talented content team in producing our digital science curriculum. Thousands of schools and districts are using Mystery Science and we want to supply them with new content as quickly as we can.
You will manage our content team and take our content to the next level. We’re located in the heart of San Francisco and this position is based in our headquarters.
What is Mystery Science?
Mystery Science creates open-and-go lessons that inspire kids to love science. We reach children before they've lost their natural curiosity so we can help the next generation develop a scientific understanding of the world. We are reaching hundreds of thousands of children this school year by helping classroom teachers and homeschoolers to teach science. Our plan is to be teaching 5 million kids in America each week by 2020 and we're well on our way.
Mystery Science was started by two long-time friends, Doug Peltz and Keith Schacht. Doug was a master classroom teacher, a science department head, and the creator of an original science curriculum that made science the most popular subject at his school. Keith Schacht, our CEO, has started and sold three technology companies, was a product manager at Facebook, and a TED speaker.
As Managing Editor, you will:
- Manage our team of content developers to publish new content on schedule while meeting our high standards of quality
- Create and monitor our production schedule and manage risk accordingly
- Ensure that all aspects of content production proceed smoothly
- Identify opportunities for new process and tools to streamline content production and increase capacity
- Problem-solve challenges that arise
- Manage external contractors and contributors
- Plan for strategic and sustained innovation
- Support the professional development of team members
- Deep understanding of content development and the editorial process
- Proven ability to manage the production of quality content on time and within budget
- Efficient project management skills, including experience managing freelancers and contractors
- Highly motivated and organized
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ready to thrive in a fast-moving startup environment
- Independent and collaborative
- Interest in improving K-5 science education
What is the Mystery Science team like?
On your first day at Mystery Science, you’ll meet a team of people who are passionate about science and teaching, and who each love their respective crafts. Our co-founder, Doug Peltz, began by assembling the best science explainers in the world from the Exploratorium, Klutz, LePort Schools, Stanford, and The Field Museum. Our focus on people extends to every area of the company. We’re building the team that we want to work with (http://mysteryscience.com/team).
We are a product-driven company. The core of what we do is create an incredible product that our customers love. We test every science activity, observe every explanation with children, and talk with teachers constantly. We take our responsibility to envision the future of learning very seriously and we want to bring the best science education to every child in the world. This is an opportunity to join a startup and transform science education for the next generation of children.
What’s the next step?
If you are inspired by our mission and passionate about helping teachers succeed and transforming science education for kids, we’d like to hear from you! Apply here: https://mysteryscience.com/jobs#managingeditor