Associate Director, Publicity
- Full Time
Our General Books Group publicity department is currently seeking an Associate Director to create and manage leading campaigns for a variety of titles within the HarperOne imprint. HarperOne specializes in books by high-profile authors and experts in their field including personal development, spirituality, religion, business, healthy living.
Please note that while HarperOne operates out of San Francisco, this position is based out of the New York office.
- Works to publicize books and authors in various genres including spirituality, religion, personal development, healthy living, business, and mindfulness.
- Secures and schedules interviews with national broadcast, print and online media, as well as local market and media.
- Schedules author events at bookstores and off-site events involving third party partners.
- Ensures strong relationships with existing authors and builds relationships with potential future authors.
- Actively develops and maintains media contacts, including national, regional, local and online.
- Acts as an ambassador and influencer to the media, agents, authors and others to reinforce the reputation of HarperCollins as a major, innovative publisher.
- Briefs authors on how to prepare for and communicate key messages in interviews.
- Writes press releases, pitch letters, and other materials relating to a book’s campaign.
- Works closely with marketing, editorial, and other departments.
- Manages a direct report.
- A minimum of 5-6 years prior work experience in publicity with an emphasis placed on booking national media in both traditional and digital outlets and author events
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of the publishing process, relationships with a wide range of producers and reporters and experience securing high impact press coverage
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of the media and a familiarity with book reviewers, magazine editors, and bloggers
- A proven ability to generate creative story ideas, pitch angles and pitches
- Experience working with nonfiction lifestyle books
- An understanding of the digital media space, including bloggers and social media
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative team environment
- Extensive knowledge of the media and a familiarity with media producers, editors, and bloggers
- Excellent communication skills, including exceptional writing skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- A college degree or equivalent experience
HarperCollins is an equal opportunity employer.