- Full Time
Edit magazine feature/technical articles, research and write articles for print and online platforms, and help determine content for publications. This position reports to the Senior Editor/Director, Publications.
- Edit articles submitted to IMA and chosen for publication. This includes researching the subject of each article and analyzing the original text. It also involves talking to and working with the author to discuss, make, and agree to revisions. Also involves fact checking for accuracy and applying IMA style.
- Edit columns and departments as necessary.
- Proofread articles in layout format during production stage.
- Contribute to monthly editorial meetings. Generate ideas for sidebars and supplemental elements for Strategic Finance features and columns. Identify ways to create more connection between the print issue and website.
- Research and develop topics for future articles. These topics cover any aspect of a corporation’s accounting and finance functions.
- Research, report, and write original articles for Strategic Finance and/or SFmagazine.com.
- Assist VP/Editor-in-Chief with special projects and assignments as necessary, such as helping select articles for the magazines from materials submitted in the manuscript competition and reviewed by the editorial board and occasionally attending conferences and other events to research subject matter.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and other Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, or related field (or equivalent work experience) preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience editing financial publications.
- Knowledge of the financial, accounting, and technology industries. Certificate, certification, and/or degree in this area a plus.
- Knowledge of/experience in digital publishing a plus.
- Exceptional proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Experience and ability to work collectively and harmoniously with others both inside and outside of IMA. This requires appreciating, accepting, and respecting individual diversity of skill, opinion, and style.
- Proven detail orientation.
- Proven skills using several software packages, including Word and Excel.
- Excellent editing and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional proofreading ability.
- Good organizational skills and proactive mind-set.
- Ability to work well in a deadline-oriented environment and to write and edit quickly.
- Understanding of what constitutes a first-rate, professionally published magazine article.
- Significant competency in analyzing prose for readability, logic, completeness, clarity, coherence, and storytelling qualities.
- Ability to gather and understand information from a variety of primary and secondary sources about finance and accounting topics.