Director of Strategic Marketing
The cherry industry (www.choosecherries.com) is searching for a new Director of Strategic Marketing that will lead the marketing and promotion initiatives throughout the cherry-growing and processing regions of Michigan, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin. Under the direction of the Cherry Industry Administrative Board (CIAB) and the Cherry Marketing Institute (CMI), this role will have an emphasis on developing strategies that increase awareness and consumption of red tart cherries across the country. This role is an active, full member of the leadership team, proactively engaging with a board-appointed task force, various governmental agencies/programs and a long-time marketing agency partner in creating and executing strategic marketing plans in support of industry objectives.
The ideal Director of Strategic Marketing is a creative thinker who is always looking to improve existing marketing strategies and incorporate new opportunities.
- Prepare, lead, drive, and own the marketing strategy and implementation based on the board-appointed task force strategy. Proven leaders only.
- Collaborate with CIAB/CMI’s agency team to provide ongoing leadership, guidance and direction during all phases of the marketing program – from strategic planning to developing tactical recommendations to executing the board-approved marketing plan.
- Work with the agency to participate in interviews with key agricultural and trade media outlets to deliver the marketing program’s key messages.
- Identify viable marketing grants and work with the agency to develop compelling proposals to secure additional funding.
- Leverage marketing partners, first and third-party data and trends to ground the program and marketing efforts.
- In partnership with the Executive Director of CIAB and the President of CMI, drive new programs and initiatives that benefit the cherry growers and processors.
- Gather key industry and consumer insights to create a long-term vision for both internal custom and third-party content.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with counterparts at both the public and private level to create a content plan inclusive of product, grower, processor and consumer segment messaging leveraging media platform best practices for an innovative and integrated approach.
- Lead and maintain up-to-date, accurate product market knowledge of red tart cherry crops, growing techniques and challenges, processing techniques and challenges, distribution channels, consumer data and market penetration.
- In collaboration with the board-appointed task force and CIAB/CMI’s marketing agency, define and drive the strategies of industry stakeholders to match the needs of the market.
- Attend USDA school food service shows and commodity procurement meetings, present marketing plans and tactics at state, federal and industry group meetings as requested.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Applicable experience in a strategic marketing role; five years of which must have been in a leadership capacity.
- Previous agricultural or commodity experience is a PLUS!
- A passion for strategic marketing combined with a track record of proper alignment of the marketing function and communication strategy with industry goals and objectives.
- Previous experience in digital marketing utilizing paid, earned and owned media to make a cohesive and impactful digital marketing program.
- Interest in working with marketing partners, including the industry’s International Marketing Director, to align and leverage programs where appropriate.
- Ability to utilize analytical and strategic thinking skills to measure outcomes and program impact, ensuring that each campaign maximizes return on investment.
- Strong budget management skills (current marketing budget is $1.2 - $2.1MM).
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including the ability to interact with different stakeholders (growers, processors, senior leadership, state and federal agencies and consumers/general public).
- Strong follow-through and attention to detail.
- Leadership and vision to advance the marketing program to ‘best in class’ status.
BENEFITS AND HOW TO APPLY
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, vision and dental coverage (100% paid by employer), an employer-matched 401(k) plan, STD and LTD insurance and paid time off. To express your interest in this amazing opportunity, please submit your resume, salary requirements and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications relate to this position.