- Ensure the accuracy and clarity of all materials
- Make material conform to BEC house style guide and project style sheets
- Correct all errors in mechanics, including spelling, punctuation, grammar, usage & inconsistencies
- Collaborate and consult with project editors on revisions to the text that affect meaning, tone, style and presentation.
- Rewrite content when necessary; Check changes made to materials
- Input text changes in InCopy, Word and Excel documents
- Work with Project Editors and other staff to resolve editorial issues with content
- Work with Creative Services department to make art/layout corrections
- Review printer proofs, products for reprint and content of digital products
Job Requirements/ Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience as a copy editor with a book publisher or other media outlet.
- Fluency in English grammar, syntax, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to mark text and layout using accepted proofer’s marks neatly and accurately. Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style and ability to use it and other resources such as Merriam-Webster’s online.
- Ability to research facts on the Internet quickly and document reliable sources, showing definitive preferences for variant spellings, word forms, etc.
- Flexibility to follow house style guides that may vary from Chicago Manual of Style.
- Mastery of all functions of Microsoft Word essential to production of professional documents, including styles and track changes.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook and Excel and Adobe InCopy, InDesign; experience with document management and ability to follow naming conventions and version control protocols.
- Ability to learn new software and to apply copy editing skills in digital environments.
- Attention to detail, able to regulate their own productivity and manage schedules; comfortable adapting to changing demands.
Apply for Copy Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly