Director of Marketing & Communications
Position Title: Director of Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Senior Director of Communications & Strategic Initiatives
Location: Los Angeles – Echo Park/MacArthur Park
Announcement Date: 11/17/17, open until filled
Status: Full-time, exempt
The mission of Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles (Levitt LA) is to make live music accessible to all, creating stronger and more connected communities while celebrating the diversity of our city and beyond. Every summer, 50 FREE concerts are presented at the Levitt Pavilion in MacArthur Park, featuring acclaimed, emerging talent to seasoned, award-winning performers in a broad range of music genres and cultural programming. Since 2007, over 500,000 Angelenos have enjoyed the high-caliber entertainment at Levitt LA, bringing people of all ages and backgrounds together through the power of free, live music in a vibrant community gathering space. Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles is part of a national network of permanent outdoor Levitt music venues, each with the mission of building community through music. Learn more at levittlosangeles.org.
The Levitt Pavilion Los Angeles (Levitt LA) Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive marketing, communications and branding strategies to build Levitt LA’s visibility, increase audience engagement and maximize concert attendance. Reporting directly to and working closely with the Senior Director of Communications & Strategic Initiatives, and collaborating with other Levitt Foundation and Levitt LA team members, the Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for a broad spectrum of Levitt LA’s external communications to advance the organization’s mission, including, but not limited to: bilingual marketing (online and print), media and public relations, brand management, donor communications, and social media. This position also works closely with Levitt LA team members in developing and implementing marketing and communications strategies to support grassroots community outreach. The Director of Marketing & Communications manages a variety of communications vehicles and develops metrics to track the effectiveness of communications and marketing activities.
Successful candidates will be bilingual (Spanish and English), a superior communicator, self-motivated, and have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, dynamic environment. The ideal candidate will have a strong media relations background, expertise in cross-platform content, and a deep understanding of the evolving media landscape. Successful candidates will demonstrate a connection to influencer marketing and be knowledgeable in emerging social media trends. The Director of Marketing & Communications position is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about the power of the arts to activate public spaces and build stronger, more interconnected, and healthier communities. Levitt offers a dynamic and collaborative work environment, with opportunities for professional development.
- Develop, pitch, and execute media relations strategies in English and Spanish to share Levitt LA’s story—including its impact in the community and artist lineup—with the goal of building audiences that represent the diversity of Los Angeles and maintaining public excitement and high visibility momentum throughout the summer concert season
- Facilitate effective PR campaigns and proactively seek media attention for summer concert season and related events with both English and Spanish press, as measured by media placements and audience impressions; write bilingual press releases and manage media relations
- Identify, negotiate, and manage existing and new media partnerships and trades, including radio spots, broadcast, and online advertising, in both English and Spanish media outlets
- Write and edit bilingual/bi-cultural content for English and Spanish communications and collateral materials, including, but not limited to: website, concert season brochures, flyers, weekly eblasts, enewsletters, advertisements, sponsor packets, banners, Levitt LA app, and donor communications
- Oversee design and production of online and print communications; manage graphic designers, printers and other vendors
- In collaboration with the Communications team, develop and implement marketing and communications campaigns and contests that will elevate Levitt LA’s visibility and increase attendance at the summer concerts
- Manage dynamic website and Levitt LA app in collaboration with Digital Communications Associate; integrate multimedia and interactive content, oversee ongoing updates, and ensure new content and consistent information is posted regularly
- Execute a comprehensive social media strategy in collaboration with the Communications team to increase audience engagement, overall visibility, and fan growth; manage social media advertising
- In collaboration with the Senior Manager, Community Relations & Outreach, create and manage communications and marketing efforts to support grassroots outreach activities throughout the Westlake District and surrounding neighborhoods, including distribution of promotional materials
- Collaborate with the Communications team to identify and tell stories that demonstrate the significance and impact of Levitt LA, via print and video
- Serve as a spokesperson for Levitt LA at the summer concerts and other related events and activities
- Coordinate and manage photographers, videographers, and journalists on-site at the summer concerts and other events, when appropriate; follow up with each accordingly
- Participate in events and activities which help advance the Levitt mission and elevate visibility for Levitt LA, including fundraising and outreach efforts
- Serve as brand steward to ensure all communications and marketing efforts maintain brand integrity and messaging consistent with the Levitt mission
- Contribute to the strategic planning of the concert season lineup and related events; in collaboration with the Director of Programming & Production, develop and execute strategies to create exposure for and generate interest in each individual concert and event to capture media attention and build audience
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Communications & Strategic Initiatives, create messaging and talking points for interviews and public speaking to ensure Levitt LA message consistency, brand integrity, and quality of presentation during interviews and at the summer concerts and other events; provide media training to organization representatives
- Develop and track metrics to assess the effectiveness of communications activities, including email marketing, media partnerships, and advertising; provide regular reports to the Senior Director of Communications & Strategic Initiatives
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Assist with special projects and initiatives as directed
- Bilingual Spanish and English, required
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible communications experience, ideally in a leadership role, in marketing, advertising, media relations, PR campaigns, donor communications, social media, and web content management
- Proven ability to translate broad communications strategies and objectives into specific, measurable results
- Proven track record in successfully developing, managing, and executing communications strategies to increase event attendance, organization visibility, and funding
- Superior writing skills with exceptional ability to create exciting, clear, and persuasive messages
- Strong communicator with excellent presentation skills and ability to speak effectively to a variety of audiences
- Experience handling media interviews, writing for media, and pitching stories to media on a daily basis to existing and new media relationships
- Experience managing and building media lists
- Experience with English and Spanish LA-based media outlets preferred
- Excellent working knowledge of processes as they relate to print production, photography, website management, and print/broadcast/online advertising
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment and maintaining high attention to detail
- Innovative and critical thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated with high degree of initiative
- Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Commitment to the Levitt mission of building community through music
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends, as well as concerts throughout the summer months, Thursday through Sunday evenings
- Bachelor’s degree or equal experience required
- Valid driver’s license and current insurance required
Please send 1) your resume, 2) a paragraph(s) on why you think you would be the best candidate (no cover letters), 3) two of your best writing samples, and 4) salary requirement to email@example.com with “Levitt LA Director of Marketing & Communications” in the subject line.
Position will remain open until filled.
Compensation commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package, including health insurance and 401k. EEO/AW employer.