Professional Networking and Collaboration Platform, Program Director
Professional Networking and Collaboration Platform, Program Director
Piscataway, New Jersey
IEEE is the world’s largest professional association advancing technology for the benefit of humanity
The successful applicant will provide strategic direction and day-to-day business management of Collabratec, IEEE's professional networking and collaboration platform.
In this role, you will direct and manage the intersection of current user requirements, upcoming technology capabilities, and IEEE's product and business strategy to recommend functional enhancements to the existing platform or the creation of new platforms to maximize IEEE's service to its members and customers and grow revenue. You will also manage the business and user experience, and achieve its objectives through close collaboration and matrix management with partnering departments specializing in marketing, product management, membership, publishing, and information technology.
IEEE’s Collabratec, which is available on desktop, tablet, and mobile applications, includes online communities, author and researcher tools, and career development networking opportunities – all in one centralized hub. It is a highly visible initiative and plays a critical role in enabling and supporting IEEE’s value proposition, with direct impact on the revenue streams to several parts of the organization, including: member dues, authoring services, career services, multi-media streaming, and advertising.
• Provides strategic direction for the platform life cycle by defining and implementing processes that drive ongoing enhancements and updates to ensure the platforms not only meet today’s needs but anticipate the future needs of members, customers, users, and the product manager stakeholders.
• Creates and maintains a long-term platform roadmap to ensure continuous innovation and market competitiveness of the platforms.
• Conducts constant analysis and evaluation of the platform to ensure competitive advantage or parity. This includes gathering feedback from customers and users as well as analyzing usage of the site and conducting regular review of competitive platforms.
• In a collaborative and matrix model structure, leads a cross-organizational and cross functional team (25-30 members) of product managers, developers, marketers to deliver on strategic plan as approved by program Steering Committee and IEEE Board of Directors.
• Directs process for gathering and synthesizing requirements from the Product Managers, Marketing and Sales teams, and directly from platform users and translating those into requirements for use by technical teams that do the actual platform development and maintenance.
• Provides business management for platform operations that includes development and management of the annual operating budget, income and expense allocations, invoice processing, and financial updates via monthly forecasts.
• Serves as the platform evangelist, collaborating with multiple marketing teams throughout the organization to help formulate clear and consistent messaging related to market positioning and outbound campaigns.
• Manages, mentors, and trains staff to ensure platform achievement of individual and enterprise wide business objectives. Engages with other IEEE business units to advise on program and platform development issues.
• Performs additional duties as necessary to support department and program.
• Manages, coaches, and evaluates the performance of three direct reports.
• Operates in a matrix-management accountability structure, coordinating the activities of cross-functional project team consisting of 25-30 staff and contractors who report to other departments.
• Collaborates with individuals who hold Volunteer positions with IEEE globally.
• Serves as a liaison for the program to appropriate Executive Staff and Volunteer leadership, and ensures effective status reporting and/or proposals to IEEE Board of Directors and its committees. This also includes preparing materials and presenting to the various IEEE Collabratec volunteer/staff oversight committees.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree required in either a Business Administration or technical field such as Engineering or Computer Science or related fields in Product Marketing. An advanced degree such as an MBA is highly preferred.
• Minimum 10 years of closely related experience in electronic information products required, including social networks, communities, scholarly collaboration networks (e.g., Mendeley, Research Gate, etc.), and social analytics tools.
• Minimum 7 years of project management experience required.
• Minimum 7 years of experience assembling and evangelizing business plans, inclusive of developing P&Ls and forecasting.
• At least 7 years management experience required. Proven knowledge and experience managing end-user and institutional markets for social networking, online communities, online collaboration, or online publishing tools.
Skills & Other Requirements:
• Excellent written and oral communications skills, and ability to prepare and deliver presentations to volunteers and staff at all levels, including Board-level updates and briefings.
• Must have demonstrated skills in successfully managing direct-reporting and indirect-reporting staff and contractors as well as working with volunteer leaders.
• Ability to lead a cross-functional team of stakeholders in a matrix management structure, to mutual agreement.
• Must possess exceptional attention to detail, and strong timeline/deadline management skills to balance competing priorities.
• Strong interpersonal, data interpretation, and analytical skills.
• Must be a technology savvy knowledge worker who seeks out technology solutions to business challenges and processes.
• Proficiency in MS Office, Gmail, Google Apps, and social network services.
Join us in an environment where people look forward to coming to work! IEEE offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, 401(k) plan with company match, a defined contribution retirement plan, a tuition reimbursement program, flexible spending accounts, company paid life insurance, and a business casual dress code.
Please apply online by going to this URL: https://ieee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=SOC0000011G&tz=GMT-04%3A00
Only those resumes that go through the URL from the web address will be considered. NO THIRD PARTIES PLEASE.
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under [Category I—Office Position].
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.
Visit www.ieee.org to view details about open positions in one of our four offices: Los Alamitos, CA; New York City; Piscataway, NJ; & Washington, DC.
The IEEE is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.