3 days left
- Full Time
The Daily Dot is the web’s most comprehensive source for original internet news and among the fastest growing media companies in the world. Our content reaches 15 million readers each month. We tell the story of the internet each day with uninhibited reporting on the people, apps, memes, and movements shaping the internet generation.
The Daily Dot’s Unclick section is dedicated to the dankest memes, best tweets, savage roasts, and all of the other weird ephemera of the web. Whether it’s another internet challenge, a viral video, or a Snapchat trend, we explain what’s happening and why. Our ideal candidate can elevate even the silliest of stories, reporting and editing with authority and great attention to detail.
Roles and responsibilities
- Identify and cover the day’s most-pressing viral trends, tweets, and videos, helping to ensure authoritative coverage for the section.
- Lead the section with original features and daily news hits.
- Manage a team of high-performing staff writers and contributors, building out beat strategies that grow the section’s influence and network.
- Develop and edit larger, more immersive features.
- Work with other members of the editorial team to achieve personal and section-level goals.
Desired skills and expertise
- 3+ years of journalism experience.
- Familiarity with the Daily Dot brand, web culture, memes, Twitter, and internet slang.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable in a small, intense, and high-growth startup/entrepreneurial environment.
- Fluency in AP Style and in-house style guidelines, familiarity with best practices for SEO.
- Experience working as part of a virtual team a plus. The ideal candidate would be located in New York, Austin, or Washington, D.C.
- This position has a 7am Eastern start time.
The Daily Dot recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each employee consistent with the Daily Dot’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to our families, employees, and community when the Daily Dot supports a diverse workforce.
We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.
Please include BOTH a cover letter and résumé with your application.