Spanish Copy Editor
Position Title: Copy Editor (Spanish)
Reports to: Director, Publishing Operations
Employment Status: Part Time
Employment Type: Exempt
Department: Creative Services
Responsible for reviewing and copy editing printed and digital products for Benchmark Education and Newmark Learning, including leveled texts, assessment books, teacher’s guides and resource manuals, sales/marketing materials such as catalogs, pullouts, flyers, invitations, and web site content. Act as an agent of quality control throughout the production stages of these materials.
- Ensure the accuracy and clarity of all materials
- Make material conform to BEC house style guide and project style sheets
- Correct all errors in mechanics, including spelling, punctuation, grammar, usage & inconsistencies
- Collaborate and consult with project editors on revisions to the text that affect meaning, tone, style and presentation.
- Rewrite content when necessary; Check changes made to materials
- Input text changes in InCopy, Word and Excel documents
- Work with Project Editors and other staff to resolve editorial issues with content
- Work with Creative Services department to make art/layout corrections
- Review printer proofs, products for reprint and content of digital products
Job Requirements/ Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience as a copy editor with a book publisher or other media outlet.
- Fluency in Spanish grammar, syntax, punctuation, and spelling.
- Bilingual (English / Spanish) – 100% in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to mark text and layout using accepted proofreading marks neatly and accurately
- Ability to research facts on the Internet quickly and document reliable sources, showing definitive preferences for variant spellings, word forms, etc.
- Flexibility to follow house style guides.
- Mastery of all functions of Microsoft Word essential to production of professional documents, including styles and track changes.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook and Excel and Adobe InCopy, InDesign; experience with document management and ability to follow naming conventions and version control protocols.
- Ability to learn new software and to apply copy editing skills in digital environments.
- Attention to detail, able to regulate their own productivity and manage schedules; comfortable adapting to changing demands.