Director of Audience Development
The Director of Audience Development will define and implement an audience development strategy with the goal to strengthen engagement and loyalty with KQED audiences across broadcast and digital platforms.
The Director of Audience Development will lead a new team devoted to growing KQED’s email and social media audiences, developing digital fundraising strategies, and deepening our relationship with broadcast and digital listeners, viewers and users. The team will launch new single and cross-platform initiatives that address audiences and members across the spectrum, from introduction to cultivation.
The Director will report to and work with the VP of Marketing in building and executing comprehensive platform and multi-departmental project plans that ensure strategic growth and work in conjunction with parallel engagement efforts across the organization. The Director will work effectively to assure projects and initiatives are planned, tracked, and launched on time and successfully.
The Director will contribute regularly to cross-functional teams and engage with senior executives, and managers of audience intelligence, content (news, science, arts, food, education), programming, marketing communications, fundraising, product, design and IT teams. The Director will lead a team of three professionals and set standards for their continuous growth.
1. Develop and oversee KQED email communication strategies that lead to growth in engagement and loyalty with audiences. Assess effectiveness of current e-newsletters, campaigns and messaging, and make recommendations and changes for maximum engagement. Build, launch, and monitor a diverse set of new email communications.
2. Design and execute digital fundraising strategies and campaigns in collaboration with the digital fundraising manager that effectively cultivate audiences and generate contributions. Understand levers for improving conversion, analyze and continually test and optimize to improve results across all channels.
3. Set the strategic roadmap for the launch and evolution of a new loyalty program from a features, benefit, and application standpoint. Manage the development, growth, marketing, and evaluation of the program.
4. Create cross-platform experiences in collaboration with the senior social media strategist that generate high engagement with audiences. Build experiences that are specific to each platform including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Linked In, and employ both organic and paid tactics.
5. Working with the VP of Marketing, determine the goals, requirements, expectations, and scope of audience development initiatives annually, quarterly and monthly.
6. Working with the Audience Intelligence unit, comprehensively test, measure, and report cross-platform results for each major effort. Encourage and track audience feedback. Analyze results to measure success of strategies employed as related to cost and creativity. Communicate actionable feedback to KQED leadership and cross-departmental teams.
7. Contribute regularly to cross-functional teams and engage with senior executives, and managers of audience intelligence, content (news, science, arts, food and education), programming, marketing communications, fundraising, product, design and IT teams.
8. Manage key internal and external partner relationships. Facilitate both tactical and high-level communication to assure working teams are consistently and effectively informed on projects.
9. Oversee production of audience development campaigns and communications including written and visual content. Collaborate with design department and vendors to create high-quality materials. Edit and write headlines and copy as needed.
10. Analyze research and audience insights to identify areas of growth. Derive creative approaches to audience journeys from data. Identify and evaluate emerging audience growth technologies and services for KQED.
11. Manage a team of three professionals and set standards for their continuous growth.
12. Manage the Audience Development unit budget and contracts.
Other Job Functions:
Bachelor’s Degree preferred or comparable experience in related field.
The candidate is a results-oriented, confident strategic thinker that consistently demonstrates leadership and motivates through teamwork and collaboration. The candidate needs to be able to think conceptually and strategically, but also be willing to execute the work.
The candidate possesses the following:
1. 4-7 years of experience in audience development or marketing, preferably in media, with proven experience executing integrated plans within a complex organization.
2. A proven track record of building and developing audiences organically and through paid marketing campaigns.
3. Fluency in all aspects of digital marketing, including segmented audience targeting.
4. Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience making presentations to small and large audiences.
5. Experience leading teams in a fast-moving environment harnessing the right methodology as needed for team and project success.
6. Working knowledge of Salesforce CRM, or other cloud based CRMs, coupled with Salesforce Marketing Cloud or other email experience.
7. Proficiency with Google Analytics, Excel/Google Sheets, Facebook Audience Insights, and Google AdWords.
8. Demonstrated ability to engage and work collaboratively with individuals and teams across the organization.
9. Strategic and creative ideas on how to grow and retain loyal audiences, and excitement about ideating and building initiatives from scratch.
10. A self-starter mindset with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and timely manage resources and multiple projects simultaneously.
To Apply, please visit: http://ww2.kqed.org/about/jobs/