Journals Web Content Manager
- Full Time
Journals Web Content Manager
The American Physical Society, a leading publisher of scientific journals, seeks a dynamic and personable colleague for the position of Journals Web Content Manager based at the APS Editorial Office in Ridge, New York, on Long Island near Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University.
The Journals Web Content Manager is responsible for developing and executing a multi-channel digital content strategy for the Physical Review journals. The primary functions are to manage design and content for APS websites, and to create, maintain update, edit and curate all website content. Working closely with the publisher, editorial staff, marketing/communications, and technical staff, the Web Content Manager will take the lead in developing a content strategy for our digital journal properties as well as overseeing the day-to-day content operations necessary to achieve this strategy.
- Develop, curate, and manage multi-channel digital content (web, mobile, email, social media) including text, images, video, etc.
- Maintain an editorial calendar to ensure a consistent stream of content and to support marketing objectives around specific events.
- Manage day-to-day content posting and revision including supervising web content support staff.
- Work closely with publisher, editorial, marketing/communications, and technical staff to develop content strategy including style guides, branding guidelines, messaging, etc. Ensure that content posted is consistent with this vision.
- Work with stakeholders and the business analytics group to establish metrics for measuring the performance and overall success of content and campaigns. Provide recommendations and plans for improvements based on these metrics as well as other analytics and general feedback from end users.
- Work with internal staff, freelancers, and other third parties to develop content to support business and marketing objectives.
- Collaborate with the development team to implement technical and usability improvements and to develop content to support new products and services.
- Manage email campaigns that include regular email alerts as well as marketing campaigns. Ensure appropriate content is highlighted and provide recommendations for optimizing open and click-through rates.
- Perform content and accessibility audits.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in science, Information Technology or related field.
- Qualification in online and/or graphic design desirable.
- Proven ability to write engaging and effective web content.
- Proven ability in managing web content projects.
- Outstanding communication, persuasion and leadership skills.
- Expert knowledge of standards compliance HTML and CSS.
- Proficiency using graphics and video editing software.
- Experience with a content management system (CMS) such as Wordpress, Drupal, Expression Engine, Sitecore, etc.
- Extensive experience in online publishing and website content management including creation and execution of strategies for ongoing projects.
- Track record in management and delivery of projects with multiple stakeholders to tight deadlines.
- Experience in setting and enforcing policies for web content standards.
- Experience in working within a scientific publishing organization, especially within a learned society, is highly desirable.
- Experience in leading teams and supervising staff required.
APS offers a competitive salary and an outstanding benefits package. For general information about the Society and its journals, see www.aps.org. To apply, please send your resume plus cover letter containing salary requirements and timetable of availability to:
Terry Padula, Human Resources Manager
American Physical Society
1 Research Road
Ridge, NY 11961