Associate Editor, Health
Job Title: Associate Editor
Location: Montclair, NJ (Remote Candidates Acceptable)
Reports To: Managing Editor
Summary: The Associate Editor develops and curates meaningful, actionable and engaging content for Vertical Health’s publishing properties including; www.Psycom.net, www.PracticalPainManagement.com (and the Practical Pain Management journal), www.SpineUniverse.com, www.OnTrackDiabetes.com and www.EndocrineWeb.com. The Associate Editor coordinates efforts among Vertical Health’s editorial staff, our Editorial Boards--including physicians, surgeons, pharmacists, educators, and allied healthcare professionals--and a growing cadre of seasoned freelance health writers. This critical role entails research, writing, editing and proofreading, as well as managing content development. This is a full-time position (~40-hours, Monday through Friday).
- Follow breaking news in related categories and pitch story ideas daily.
- Coordinate with SEO team to maximize reach of articles published.
- Develop content from conception to publication.
- Manage production of multiple weekly enewsletters.
- Coordinate with social media strategic planning team.
- Assign and/or write, edit, and proofread copy.
- Assist in management of site-specific budgets.
- Attend occasional health conferences to assist in providing editorial coverage; occasional travel may be required.
- Analyze web analytics and offer insights for content development growth.
Skill sets include:
- Excellent consumer health writing, editing and proofreading abilities.
- Experience with search engine optimization (SEO) and best practices.
- Experience promoting engaging content on a variety of social media platforms.
- Knowledge of copyright and citation practices; AMA-style knowledge preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary for being a team player and work collaboratively with sales, tech, art and SEO departments.
- Experience working in a content management system.
- Ability to manage and meet weekly deadlines, initiate ideas for content-related projects that increase our reach and engagement, and be resourceful.
Vertical Health, based in Montclair, NJ, educates and engages patients and healthcare practitioners in several key health categories. Our content includes tips, expert advice, inspiration and resources for people in need of high-quality health information. Our team publishes and represents multiple health websites and a leading medical teaching journal in the United States. Our highly-skilled staff has developed a variety of products and tools that engage patients and physicians, and attract advertisers to support our initiatives. As a rapidly-growing company, we offer many opportunities to learn, grow and succeed. Our success is a testament to our employees, our products and our overall mission.