Social Media Manager
About Dēmos. Demos is a public policy organization working for an America where all have an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy. Founded in 2000, the organization is headquartered in New York City with offices in Washington, D.C. and Boston. Demos moves ideas powerful enough to improve the lives of everyday Americans through the full cycle of change. We champion over-the-horizon policy solutions, shift the narrative to clear the way for their acceptance, and advocate until they take effect. We use the right strategy for the right moment, whether it’s research or communications, supporting organizers or litigating. This commitment to the full cycle of change has resulted in real victories, from landmark credit card reforms to nearly 3 million new voter registration applications from low-income citizens. Throughout all of our work, Demos is advocating not just for people, but for the very idea of the people—of one nation, united by a shared fate.
Social Media Manager. We are looking for an experienced social media manager to join our growing team. You will help us engage with our audiences on social media, identify our online community’s developing needs, and look for opportunities to grow our social reach and brand awareness.
If you’re a social-savvy trendsetter whose morning routine wouldn’t be complete without knowing what’s happening on Twitter, and someone who has innovative ideas to improve our Demos community experience, we would like to meet you. For this position, you should be highly creative, entrepreneurial, and energized by working with a team. Ultimately, you should be able to effectively connect our brand with our online supporters.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage a diverse, multi-issue social media strategy and content calendar that includes rapid response and popular education campaigns
- Implement a social media strategy that broadens strategic communication and brand awareness goals, including but not necessarily limited to:
- Media Relations
- Promote Demos’ press hits, opinion editorials, and email campaigns
- Engage with national media outlets and their journalists on social media
- Digital Communications
- Cross-promote our digital and social channels with an eye to list-building, follower growth, and donor acquisition
- Engage directly with our social media followers to develop an authentic sense of online community
- Media Relations
- Create an annual plan for increasing followership and engagement within and across the organization’s social channels
- Provide regular analytics reporting of social channel growth, engagement, and effectiveness of our social campaigns, with an emphasis on media and notable/verified interactions
- Provide input, along with the Digital Communications Manager, in the development of program- and issue-specific campaigns at the national, state, and local levels (e.g. planning related microsites and landing pages, social media assets, and potential email arcs)
- Work with Communications Director to create and distribute organizational messaging for use in all digital settings and in materials used by the organization
- Make recommendations to Communications Director on new social platforms, digital trends, and emerging best practices to achieve organizational and Communications targets
- Other responsibilities as requested by your supervisor, from time to time
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- A demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequality plays in our society and in movement-building, and a demonstrated ability to effectively manage across difference
- A strong commitment to excellence and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience working with social platforms including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Snapchat
- Comfortable providing regular messaging guidance and practical social media training for staff members of all levels of digital experience
- Hands-on experience in/understanding of creating, launching, and managing popular education campaigns
- Experience conducting regular analytics reporting of social media platforms
- Very comfortable creating a social advertising budget and making social ad buys within that budget across multiple platforms
- Solid writing/editing skills in order to craft digital messages that include organizational and issue talking points
- Hands-on experience with content management systems including Drupal and WordPress
- A clear understanding of digital best practices, from digital-first strategy to mobile optimization methods to SEO opportunities
- Some experience designing websites, microsites, and/or landing pages
- Proficient in the use of design programs (e.g. Illustrator, Photoshop)
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for this position is $50,000- $70,000 and is commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package that includes health insurance, dental and vision insurance, 10 paid holidays, 20 vacation days per year, 5 floating holidays per year, paid time off Dec. 25- Jan. 1, 12 sick days per year, and the opportunity to contribute to a 403(b) plan. The position is full-time and based in New York.
How to Apply: Upload a thoughtful cover letter and résumé by clicking through the following link: http://demos.hiringthing.com. We are looking for an immediate hire so applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
Dēmos is an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.