- Full Time
Our Children’s Books design team is currently seeking a Designer to join the fast-paced, creative team. In this role, the Designer will design covers and interiors for children’s books, I Can Read series, licensed and novelty books and box sets.
- Organize, design and manage several projects per season with guidance from Art Director.
- Work creatively and collaboratively with all members of the team on the development of the project from concept to finish.
- Effectively communicate with artists/illustrators/artist reps directly as needed.
- Keep projects on a timely schedule, keep Art Director informed of project status daily, and keep production status reports updated.
- Prepare jacket, cover, and interior mechanicals for the printer.
- Archive all projects in DAM.
As needed you will:
- Provide design support to Art Director.
- Provide general assistance to team on special projects.
- Effectively communicate directly with artists/illustrators/artist reps.
- Trend spot: Stay on top of design trends in children’s books, children’s illustration, and related media.
- Return artwork and dead matter.
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to daily job functions
- BFA College degree or equivalent work experience in Graphic Design and Typography
- Solid understanding of production process, color correction of proofs, timely routing of materials
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects, manage time, and communicate progress and to work effectively in a team environment
- Performs duties quickly and efficiently to meet deadlines
- Minimum 3 years of design experience required
- Experience in publishing and a passion for children’s books preferred
- Licensed publishing and/or novelty experience a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software, with strong emphasis in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator required
HarperCollins Publishers is an equal opportunity employer.
HarperCollins Publishers is a company full of people who are passionate about books. When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here, and why you are interested in the job. That’s why cover letters are strongly preferred.