Family Media—which produces New York Family, New York Family Baby, New York Family Camps, LA Baby, Chicago Baby, The Baby Show Series of events, and the Blackboard Awards—is searching for an Editorial Assistant to join our team creative and hardworking lifestyle editors.
The ideal candidate is at the start of their career in media and eager to apply their skills from college, past internships and/or entry level positions at a growing company that has experience in print, digital, or live events; they enjoy learning new skills and building on their existing skill set; they recognize the importance that small details play in the success of an editorial team; they are digitally savvy and have an interest in the business side of social media, SEO, and digital analytics; they have a collaborate spirit and feel like they would thrive on a small team working on both short- and long-term deadlines.
The Editorial Assistant would report to the Executive Editor with additional oversight of daily tasks/assignments by the Associate Editor.
- Conduct research for upcoming stories
- Assist with executing weekly editorial schedule (ie: building digital stories from edited content and approved photos)
- Assist with execution of weekly calendar postings, as well as research for potential calendar events for inclusion
- Assist with reach-outs and reminders to large contact lists for roundups and large annual feature packages
- Communicate with companies and PR organizations on behalf of editors (especially in regards to sending sharable assets to editorial contacts after a story is published)
- Fact-checking for print and digital
- Copy-editing for print and digital
- Assisting with execution of social media strategy for both the edit and marketing teams
- Occasionally assist at photo shoots with tasks like handling props, on-set errands, pre-shoot logistics, etc.; helping to coordinate requests and returns of samples for photo shoots
- Complete various administrative office tasks as needed
Background & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably with a major or minor in communications, journalism, media studies, and/or marketing)
- Strong organizational skills with ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment
- Ambitious, proactive, and a quick learner
- Very strong communication and collaboration skills
- Proficiency in (or at least some familiarity with): Wordpress (or similar CMS); Hootsuite (or similar), Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for Business; MailChimp (or similar email campaign platform); AP Style; GoogleDocs; Microsoft Office
- Bonus Points for familiarity with PhotoShop, InCopy/InDesign, video editing, Google Analytics, SEO best practices
Apply for Editorial Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly