- Full Time
Why you want this job:
Global Press has a 12-year track record of producing exceptional journalism from the least-covered parts of the globe. Global Press Journal editors work with our talented network of trained local journalists in more than 40 developing communities. Editors are supported by fact checkers, copy editors, translators and multimedia producers so that they can focus adequate time on story coaching, exceptional line editing and storytelling innovation.
Working at Global Press means working to create systemic change in the field of international journalism. We are revolutionizing the business model of journalism by creating multiple ethical, sustainable revenue streams, revitalizing core editorial processes to ensure accuracy and accountability and repairing the lack of gender and racial diversity that have plagued newsrooms since inception. Global Press is an employee-centered workplace that prioritizes employee wellness in a diverse, challenging, creative, humor-filled environment. We offer competitive salaries, health, vision and dental benefits, a matching 401k program, annual professional development stipends and workplace wellness programs.
We are looking for an experienced, energetic, story-driven editor to work with Global Press journalists across the globe to create world-class international journalism every day.
On a typical day at Global Press you will:
- Lead the Global News department to produce exceptional daily coverage for the all-new Global Press Journal (new site launching January 2018!)
- Coach story pitches using the unique Global Press definition of news value
- Collaborate with reporters to hone angles, dig into documents, produce high-impact visuals and create extraordinary narratives about under-covered communities
- Work with other HQ editors, fact checkers, copy editors and multimedia producers to ensure that each story is 100% accurate upon publication
- Be inspired by the bravery and ingenuity of Global Press reporters
- Work with country teams to design holistic storytelling priorities that will offer readers accurate and comprehensive coverage
- Collaborate with the Engagement team to ensure that stories are reaching high-impact audiences across the globe
- Work hard, laugh hard and make a significant contribution to global journalism
Global Press is a diverse and thriving international media organization that seeks out team members who:
- Are equally committed to journalistic tradition and journalistic innovation
- Employ discipline, generosity and humor in their daily work
- Believe in the power of high-quality information and human stories to change our world
- Thrive in a collaborative, multi-cultural environment where team members can be honest with one another and aim to be better than they were yesterday
The successful candidate will have 5+ years of professional journalism experience, with a track record of editorial leadership and innovation. Candidates with relevant international experience and language skills will be prioritized.
About Global Press
Global Press exists to create a more just and informed world by training and employing local female journalists to produce ethical, accurate news coverage from the world’s least-covered places. We are working to solve two of the most entrenched problems in journalism — its lack of diversity across geographies, race, class and gender; and the absence of ethical, revenue-generating business models that create healthy and sustainable news organizations. Global Press operates a professional training program that offers local women the opportunity to learn the principled practice of professional journalism. All training graduates are offered long-term employment at Global Press Journal, where they work within a robust editorial structure to produce integrity-rich, accurate journalism that features local voices, deep context and nuanced analysis. Stories are published in local language and English and widely disseminated across the world via Global Press News Service. By 2020, Global Press will be the news organization of record from the developing world.
To learn more about how we operate, visit our Transparency page found in the footer of Global Press Institute, Journal and News Service sites.
Notes on your application:
Please submit a well-written cover letter that specifically addresses how your experience will contribute to the mission of Global Press. We have several open editor jobs. Please don't apply for both. Based on your experience, please choose the best fit.