- Full Time
Vanguard Communications is celebrating 30 years as an independent, Hispanic woman-owned public relations firm that leverages the power of public relations and communications to educate the public about important issues of our time.
We are a diverse team of communicators who thrive at applying our range of skills, subject area expertise and different ways of thinking to opportunities our clients face. We focus on causes that align with diversity and inclusion, health and wellness, youth and families, education, energy and environment, and international development, to name a few.
We work in a team-based environment where motivated, creative and collaborative individuals thrive. We encourage continuous learning and mentoring, and create opportunities for team members to stretch, learn and grow.
If this mission and environment inspire you, please read on!
About This Role
As a full-time Communications Associate, you will work with a team of professionals that provides support on two client projects focusing on health communications. Your role will include working with clients and partners, developing materials, logistical support, developing and tracking of integrated media services and learning all aspects of project management and effective communications efforts.
Highlights and Responsibilities
- Develop and coordinate timelines and task charts.
- Schedule meetings with clients, staff and partners.
- Support all aspects of large government and NGO contracts.
- Provide logistics support (making arrangements for teleconferences, focus groups, webinars, photo shoots and other events).
- Coordinate with vendors as needed.
- Write integrated media materials, including press releases, advisories, statements, blogs, pitch letters and content for use in digital media, such as social media messages and web copy.
- Monitor media to identify media opportunities and coverage trends.
- Aid in materials development and production, including writing, research, fact checking (names, dates, addresses, etc.), formatting and proofreading.
- Pitch events and stories to diverse media, including ethnic press, bloggers, traditional reporters and digital influencers.
- Manage and update media and contact lists, including details about social media accounts.
- Track news coverage, both in traditional media outlets and digital channels, and produce audience engagement reports.
- Provide support for partner outreach and engagement.
- Provide training and technical assistance support.
- Develop meeting agendas and manage meeting schedules.
- Prepare weekly meeting summaries and action items and distribute them to project team.
- Coordinate project deliverables tracking and reporting.
- Coordinate project reporting (including monthly, annual and ad hoc reports).
- Duplicate, assemble and mail materials.
- Contribute to other duties as assigned or necessary.
- Travel off-site when necessary.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, outgoing individual who loves communications in all its evolving forms. Ideally, our new team member is a strong writer who is punctual and organized, as well as someone who thrives on multitasking in a fast-paced environment. Individuals who are entrepreneurial in finding solutions to obstacles and generating opportunities will thrive. Ideally, the right candidate has a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or a related field and has completed an internship in public relations or a related field. Additional language skills are a plus.
Attributes for Success
Vanguard wants its employees to succeed, so we look for candidates who demonstrate the following values:
- People-First. To each other, our clients, partners, vendors and other consultants, we are respectful, responsive, flexible, timely, dependable and accountable so that our work together is efficient, effective and creates maximum impact on the lives of people and issues we touch.
- Motivated. We don’t just take what’s given to us and implement. We are curious, informed and continually pursue growth and learning about the world around us.
- Impactful. Success is in the details, the amount of trust we foster and consistency in delivering creative, quality-driven programs.
- Truthful. Integrity, accountability and transparency define our reputation. Since truthfulness is the basis of lasting relationships, we value learning from our mistakes because it makes us better practitioners working in a healthy team environment.
- Friendly + Fun. We value each other’s time, talents, personalities, unique contributions and life beyond work, which is why we look for ways to lend a hand, share a laugh and/or applaud one another’s achievements.