Matador Network seeks an analytical and creative editorial leader to be our next Managing Editor.
We’re seeking a skilled and ambitious Managing Editor to oversee Matador Network’s daily publishing operations and editorial voice. You will be reporting to, and working with, the CEO to guide editorial strategy and lead a team of 12+ editorial creatives (both written and video).
Our ideal candidate is 25% manager, 25% journalist/editor, 25% marketing genius, and 25% data scientist. You should devour news and digital media on a daily basis from a wide variety of outlets and be well versed and curious about a diversity of subjects—from climate change to music festivals, language learning to wildlife conservation. You should be ready to write content for the site often, as well as direct staff on content ideation on a weekly basis.
We’re looking for someone who’s excited about trying new things, measuring success (traffic + engagement) and amplifying efforts where gains are made. We want a confident leader with a lot to say, someone who’s ready to inspire our team on your first week.
Responsibilities and Requirements
- Oversee overall brand voice of Matador Network (in collaboration with CEO and leadership team)
- Create and oversee editorial content plan that drives traffic + engagement, and hits all editorial brand themes
- Develop content franchises around our major travel themes and seasonal tentpoles
- Manage our entire editorial team (~12 full-time contractors and growing). While we publish in languages other than English, these editors are bilingual so it’s not a requirement that you are.
- Oversee editorial hiring and development of freelance contributor network (working in conjunction with editorial team)
- Obsessively monitor and push our traffic + engagement goals by working with editorial and social teams to constantly test, measure, and amplify winning strategies
- Collaborate with the rest of Matador leadership on staffing structure, budgets, branding, and strategic direction
- Desire and willingness to travel globally several times a year to industry conferences. Experience and enthusiasm for public speaking a strong plus
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in digital media
- 4+ years of people management experience
- Solid understanding of Google Analytics and desire to learn more
- Excellent writer and editor, with a strong eye for stunning/unique imagery, attention to detail, and a quick wit
- Media/news junkie—you should not only be a talented writer/editor/creator but also a ravenous media consumer. You should be aware of trending content across the Web as well as Netflix/HBO/Reddit and be interested in many subjects other than simply "travel"
- A passion for earned-media, breaking-news, and traffic-driving strategies
- Ability to work autonomously between teams, roles, and geographies, while staying organized and on-task
- An integrated marketing mindset, with sound experience in brand and creative strategy
- Ability to work within tight deadlines, adjust to changes in priorities, and balance short-term needs with long-term strategic initiatives
- Ability to balance high-level, strategic projects with day-to-day writing/editing tasks
- Well-traveled and well read
- Passion for all things Matador—experience with our brand (reader, subscriber, social follower) a strong plus
Founded in 2006, Matador Network is the world's largest independent travel publisher. Imagine if Nat Geo and Buzzfeed made a baby—that would be us. We are a digital-first and increasingly video-first media company with content in four languages and content creators in over 100 countries. Through web and social media, our articles, photo galleries, and videos cover all things travel—from food to culture guides to adventure sports—and reach over 50 million people per month.
The Matador lifestyle brand we are building promotes curiosity, open-mindedness, and exploration through storytelling. Our audience is primarily young (A25-49), based primarily in large US and world cities, skews 60% female, and is adventurous and well educated. We are a privately held company, profitable and growing fast. Our mission is to build the world’s #1 travel lifestyle brand for millennials and beyond.
Our Team & Culture
Matador's team is a diverse and multilingual group of 50 global citizens mostly distributed across North America. It's an amazing group of talented people and they're very excited to meet you! We believe in working hard and dreaming big—Matador promotes a culture of freedom, creativity, and fearlessness in our editorial voice, our brand, and most importantly, our people. We work hard, play hard, and travel hard. We drink a lot of coffee, brainstorm constantly, laugh a lot, support each other in all endeavors, and meet up in person for mini-retreats and full-team annual retreats.
Candidates must reside in the San Francisco Bay Area. Time will be split between working alongside the CEO in our Sausalito office 3 - 5 days/week and working from your home office.
This is a full-time independent contractor role.
Please send cover letter, resume, three references, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Please put Managing Editor in the subject line.