- Full Time
Who Are We?
Ampersand is changing the way readers engage with their favorite authors and books. We've created a suite of digital tools that helps authors share new and previously unused content, and encourages richer, more engaged reading. Backed by Andreessen Horowitz and led by technology and entertainment veterans, Ampersand is an early stage startup just exiting stealth mode. We're located in Los Gatos, CA.
What You’ll Do
You will onboard new authors into the Ampersand environment and ensure their success on our platform. You will own an author's experience, communicate with the author and their extended team, manage research of the author's fans, and curate and shape the content that will be showcased on our platform. You will also work closely with the design team to bring the author's aesthetic into the platform and work with marketing to set the plan, including timing, pricing, advertising, etc. This role is unique and is an interesting mash-up of producer, editor and business owner, and has considerable job growth opportunity.
Key responsibilities include:
- Read and analyze the author's published and unpublished work, and pull out themes, structure, style, etc, in an effort to curate and create a suite of content to include in our platform
- Provide guidance and feedback to a junior team member on their research of the author's fans
- Lead all communication with the authors and their agents, including phone interviews and possibly in-person meetings, and set proper expectations
- Collaborate with the junior writer/researcher and senior writer to define the right content offering for the author on the Ampersand platform. Work with them to ensure all work on the project (writing, design, marketing etc) reflects the author’s voice and intent
- Serve as an editorial resource for the writing team
- Partner with marketing team to develop the marketing plan including timeline, pricing, advertising, etc.
- Drive the digital publishing process within our CMS (Content Management System)
- Manage the ongoing relationship with the author and agent while the content is live in our app
- Partner with the data and product team to analyze data and communicate it to the author and team in a thoughtful and engaging manner
- Provide thoughtful and proactive feedback to Director of Content on how to improve all processes
What You'll Need
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, Literature, Creative Writing, Communication or related field, and a minimum of 5 to 8 years of applicable experience
- Deep experience handling a complicated editorial calendar
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects while maintaining high standards of quality control and tight production schedules
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to work on cross-matrix teams
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently while thriving in a fast-paced, high-volume startup environment
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with content management systems (CMS)
- Demonstrated ability to work with writers and editors to develop strong, compelling content
- Self-motivated and possess the ability to meet production deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to work independently and collaborate freely with coworkers
We've got big ideas, a killer team, two hypoallergenic dogs, and an enchanted forest. If you're smart, talented, and excited to learn, join us to change reading and writing forever.
Competitive salary and stock options
Health benefits for you and your dependent(s) (medical, dental and vision)
Generous PTO policy (4 week / year)
Casual and fun work environment
Weekly paid lunches