Social Media Coordinator
WaitWhat is a joyful new start-up from former TED execs June Cohen and Deron Triff. For a combined 16 years, June and Deron launched and led media at TED — TED.com, TED Open Translation Project, TED Radio Hour, TED Books, TED in Cinema, etc. — resulting in more than 1 billion annual views and listens of the organization’s content.
Founded in January 2017, WaitWhat’s inaugural media properties Masters of Scale and Sincerely, X have been critically acclaimed and represent just the beginning of the intriguing new things we plan to bring out to the world.
We describe WaitWhat as a content incubator. Combining exceptional creative capacity with distribution know-how, we create media properties that defy formula… content of the highest quality and originality. From the get-to, we design our media to live across many different forms and formats – audio, video, virtual, live, print, etc. – in order to scale as thriving independent businesses.
We are now building out a team that is as diverse as it is creative, brought together by the desire to create amazing media experiences. We’re channeling our energy to fulfill what we believe is the greatest, often unspoken, need of our times… to feel lit up and alive. Everything we produce will have those “Wait, what?’ moments that spark your curiosity and change your understanding of the world.
We’re looking for a social media coordinator, based in the NYC area, who is half storyteller, half inventor. You love great writing and delight in choosing just the right words to get an idea across. You’re also fascinated by data — you love trying new things and then watching what works and why. You follow industry trends, and take unending interest in the techniques that create impact on the major social platforms. You’re deeply curious, creatively courageous, and looking for a job where you can put your talents to work for media you believe in. You must love start-up culture, feel energized by team-oriented environments, and have an all-hands-on-deck attitude.
- Set-up and build exceptional social media experiences for Wait, What? and the media properties we’re creating: establish ambitious but achievable goals; create and implement strategies; execute daily against multiple editorial content calendars, and utilize best in class analytics tools to continually strengthen our approach
- Follow trending media industry news, with an eye toward experimentation with emerging tools and techniques
- Develop social media strategies for the individuals on the Wait What team and those involved with our media properties (Executives, Show hosts, Writers, Directors …)
- Bring sophistication to interpreting metrics for the team and its partners; track analytics across different platforms and properties on an ongoing basis, to understand trends and the impact of different campaigns
- Create stunning visual content, as well as other assets (audio clips, animation, etc), that can be shared socially
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum of 3 years professional social media experience, and a proven track record in building large social audiences from the ground up.
- Fluency with all major social media platforms (particularly Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and SnapChat)
- Excellent writing skills and an ability to develop and write for a range of editorial voices
- Ability to think creatively in order to identify and solve problems.
- Impeccable organizational skills and ability to multi-task across different projects under tight deadlines.
- Confidence in executing tasks independently, working with remote team members, and interacting with senior-level executives at partner companies.
- A voracious appetite for online media: blogs, video, podcasts and all types of social media engagement.
- Strong experience with social media monitoring and management tools.
- Fluency with Google Docs, Google Calendar and Gmail essential. Experience with Excel or other spreadsheet programs very helpful.
- Design experience and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite a big plus
- Natural curiosity and a kind-hearted disposition.
This is a FT contract position, based in downtown Manhattan, with the potential to become a FT staff position. We’re a start-up with tight budgets, so our salaries are lower than big media companies. But we’re so much more fun to work for! Benefits include field trips, team dinners, and awesome colleagues you’ll be proud to know. We’re committed to 50/50 gender balance, and diversity of all kinds — in our media properties, among our investors and on our team: Women, minorities and anyone with an unconventional background is strongly encouraged to apply.
Also, we only hire extremely nice people.
Apply for Social Media Coordinator
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly