- Full Time
The staff writer develops written content for whitman.edu, Whitman Magazine, and print and digital publications for varied external and internal constituents including prospective students, alumni, donors and the campus community.
- Write and edit Web content, including news, features, spotlights/profiles, and copy for pages that represent Whitman’s programs, services and people, ensuring quality, consistency and accuracy.
- Serve as a writer for Whitman Magazine, contributing news and features as assigned.
- Write, edit and distribute The Fountain, the weekly newsletter for faculty and staff, along with other internal communications.
- Complete other writing and communications assignments for varied audiences including prospective students, alumni, donors and the campus community..
- Copyedit and proofread material as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with the content team and other communications office staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Exemplary writing and reporting skills, adaptable for a range of purposes, including but not limited to media, internal communication, magazine, Web, marketing and fundraising.
- Excellent proofreading and copyediting skills; ability to communicate effectively and creatively, both verbally and in writing; thorough knowledge of English language, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage.
- Thorough knowledge AP Style; able to learn and apply the Whitman style guide to appropriate writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the college’s leaders as well as students, faculty, staff, donors, alumni and the general public, in part to conduct effective interviews for stories. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact with diverse individuals and groups.
- Ability to establish and meet deadlines, and to work effectively with a team and in an independent manner.
- Ability to prioritize projects; work quickly, accurately and thoroughly, with attention to detail, and to meet deadlines in an environment of frequent interruptions and sometimes unrealistic timelines.
- Work requires strict adherence to deadlines, a high level of creativity, and the ability to work with little supervision at times.
- Excellent organizational skills that contribute to ability to serve as a mentor-supervisor for student interns.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, or related field and three years public relations writing or journalism experience, or any combination of experience that provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job. Skills that contribute to the diversity of the college are appreciated.