Design Director, Hunter Douglas
We are working with Hunter Douglas, Inc., an innovative industry leader in home furnishings and architectural products, on a Design Director opportunity at their Broomfield, Colorado office. Hunter Douglas CEO Ron Kass, formerly of Knoll, is a champion of design who is committed to building a world-class, in-house design capability.
We are seeking a talented hands-on Director who will lead a team designing compelling branding projects for print, digital and promotional materials. Candidates must have great project management ability as well as experience leading and inspiring a small team. Strong typography and a sophisticated aesthetic required. Experience in retail, fashion, editorial or luxury preferred.
Michelle Stuhl & Company, Inc. is a global retained executive search firm specializing in recruiting creative and business talent for executive positions.
The Design Director translates marketing and branding strategies into innovative and impressive design projects that stimulate targeted audiences. Works with creative team to devise design concepts. Must be a self-starter with the capability to think outside the box. Responsible for the design and execution of groundbreaking visual solutions for integrated, cross-channel initiatives including large Web initiatives, online, advertising, print and digital marketing – and will ensure that all organizational goals are met and corporate identity standards are followed.
• Generates a range of powerful, viable concepts and designs in tandem with the copywriter.
• Explores new ideas—discovers groundbreaking photographers, illustrators, artists and talent.
• Produces sketches, storyboards, wireframes, and roughs to visualize ideas.
• Communicates visual designs, motion design, concepts, and storyboards through presentations.
• Expertly leads teams of designers and production artists to flawlessly execute cross-channel and digital work.
• Deftly juggles multiple projects while inspiring & motivating both creative teammates and
• marketing partners.
• Understands marketing initiatives, strategic positioning and target audience.
• Cooperates with the rest of the creative team across different types of media.
• Takes work from concept to final execution within deadlines and budgets.
• Manages and delegates responsibilities to other designers and provides direction while projecting positive attitude.
• Presents completed ideas to product and marketing team members.
• Stays on top of all trends and maintains best practices.
• Works with project manager/Director to ensure realistic expectations of project deadlines
• Attends press checks and maybe photoshoots when requested/required to provide expected level of review and quality control.
• Effectively respond to internal client’s concerns/questions. Create on-going positive relationships that foster partnerships with internal clients.
Qualifications and KSA’s For Employment
• Expert/proficient use of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, AfterEffects and other visual design, motion graphics, video and wireframing tools.
• Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio.
• Incorporate feedback and take/give direction well.
• Team player with strong communication and presentation skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills, a well-developed design sensibility and an eye for detail.
• Solid design skills that will be put to use in leading a best-in-class creative team.
• Acceptable Training and Experience includes minimum of ten years working experience as a Designer/Art Director/team lead.
• Hands on experience with logo design, typography, color, web layout design, print production, image selection and package design.
• Experience with frontend website development (HTML & CSS) is a plus.
• Experience in retail, fashion, editorial and luxury is a plus.
• Adaptability/Flexibility/Responsiveness -- Maintains an optimistic and positive outlook, responding constructively when presented with challenge or change.
• Business Savvy -- Aligns organizational structure, systems, processes and talent to achieve desired results.
• Communication Skills -- Encourages a climate in which employees feel free to openly share their thoughts and feelings.
• Critical Thinking – Anticipates events and potential problems before they arise.
• Decision Making/Judgment -- Applies a sound knowledge of procedures and organizational values when making decisions.
• Driving Change -- Initiates and promotes continuous learning and improvement efforts throughout.
• Driving Strategic Direction -- Communicates and motivates others about the organizational.
• mission, vision, and values.
• Empowering Others -- Involves others in problem solving, decision making and planning processes.
• Engenders Trust -- Demonstrates and practices high standards of personal and professional integrity.
• Leading Teams -- Genuinely values and recognizes the ideas, abilities, contributions, and differences of others.