- Full Time
TRANSPORT TOPICS, the transportation industry’s award-winning news weekly and website covering trucking and freight transportation, is seeking an innovative, digitally savvy Content Manager. The incumbent will be responsible for the accuracy, editorial style and content of stories appearing in Transport Topics, TTNews.com and all related supplemental products. This position is located in our Arlington, Va., headquarters office. This role has no supervisory or budgetary responsibilities.
- Works with the managing editors of news, features and multiplatform to provide copy editing of articles for Transport Topics, a weekly print product and other print supplements; as well as real-time updates to TTNews.com, including editing of content and development of digital enhancements.
- Works with photo editors, video editors and graphic designers to identify appropriate multimedia elements to include with real-time updates to TTNews.com.
- Works with the print production department to ensure that all elements are connected to print stories so that they load properly to TTNews.com.
- Ensures all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content -- print, online, newsletter, social, mobile, video, etc.
- Edits all Transport Topics products by reading and correcting all content for grammar, spelling, punctuation, AP Style, accuracy, content and consistency while ensuring timely and accurate turnaround of content.
- Writes headlines and cutlines for print and digital.
- Works with reporters, freelancers and editorial assistants on the crafting of stories and development of all content for all Transport Topics products.
- Develops working knowledge of the important issues for the trucking industry to ensure and improve the quality and consistency of the news products offered by Transport Topics.
- Stays up to date on news developments and generates new ideas to draw audience’s attention.
- Ensures that all documents meet established content standards and assesses any technical challenges in displaying the content.
- Works in and understands the Falcon content management system, Adobe InCopy/InDesign editing tool and Drupal web publishing systems.
Knowledge and Skills:
- BA/BS in journalism or English, plus two years copy editing and writing experience required; or in lieu of degree, five years of editing and writing experience;
- Previous publication experience, including creating content for digital, particularly at newspapers, is preferred;
- Excellent editing skills as well as communication both written and oral;
- Proficient in MS Word, and Drupal systems or similar;
- Working knowledge of AP Style;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize; must be able to judge news quickly;
- Proven experience with social media journalism and video required.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. We are located just outside of Washington, D.C., within walking distance of the Ballston Metro station.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. Please no third-party, agency responses, re-postings, calls or walk-ins. Relocation assistance is not provided. The American Trucking Associations is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or other protected veteran status.