Director of Media and Web
The director of media and web leads the media outreach and digital marketing programs for the Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC). The director develops, executes, and maintains public information programs that help PPIC
- accomplish its mission of improving public policy,
- effectively explain and promote PPIC’s research to a diverse audience.
- advance the reputation of PPIC staff as a resource for policymakers, the media, and other policy influencers.
The director supervises website and digital marketing staff, including outside vendors and consultants. This full-time position is based in San Francisco and reports to the vice president of communications.
- Develops and directs effective media and marketing efforts in consultation with senior leadership.
- Serves as primary liaison with the media. Cultivates and maintains strong contacts, and proactively promotes products and PPIC experts to traditional and new media.
- Drafts and/or edits news releases, media advisories, opinion pieces, talking points, invitations, and other products related to outreach.
- Facilitates positive research staff contacts with the media, including conducting media training.
- Manages the PPIC Blog. Works with researchers to develop accessible, topical content that furthers the institute’s mission and promotes its expertise.
- Manages email campaigns that expand PPIC’s audiences and promote institute products and experts.
- Provides strategic direction for development of the website, ppic.org, and oversees its operation. Works with web staff and consultants to continuously improve usability and functionality of the site, the primary mode of distribution for PPIC research.
- Works with communications staff to develop and update website content, ensuring consistency of branding with products and other materials.
- Works with digital marketing staff to strategize, direct, and implement social media efforts in response to institutional direction, shifts in audience consumption, and technological advancements.
- Collaborates with communications and research staff and consultants to create videos that promote PPIC products and expertise, developing scripts, charts, and other visual content.
- Ensures consistency with PPIC’s overall approach—in quality, messaging, and timing—across all platforms.
- Oversees planning and implementation of all marketing efforts, including budgeting and hiring external consultants.
- Collaborates with development, government affairs, media, events and other communications staff to implement successful product release strategies, expanding PPIC’s reputation, audience and demand for its expertise.
- Collaborates with senior leadership on the development and direction of institutional initiatives, for both long-terms goals and shorter-term projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, plus a minimum of seven years’ experience in a communications and media-related function, ideally in a policy research setting.
- Superior writing, editing, and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex research and communicate it effectively to diverse audiences.
- Five years of managerial experience and the ability to direct staff to achieve short- and long-term objectives.
- Ability to work collaboratively throughout the organization and with external contacts.
- Strong knowledge of California policy issues.
- Ability to manage controversial or politically charged material in a professional, nonpartisan fashion.
- Expert knowledge of and contacts in California and national media.
- Excellent organizational skills and the capacity to manage multiple tasks under strict deadlines.
- Skilled at handling crisis situations.
- Experience using social media and digital marketing tools..
- Strong skills in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Familiarity with HTML, WordPress, Dreamweaver, and Illustrator desired.
The Public Policy Institute of California is a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank. We are dedicated to informing and improving public policy in California through independent, objective, nonpartisan research. PPIC values the wide variety of backgrounds and experiences of our staff. Key elements in the consideration of qualified candidates include excellence; diversity of talents, backgrounds, and viewpoints; and a strong fit with the institute’s mission, values, and goals.
Applications will be considered as they are received, and the position will remain open until filled.
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, PPIC is committed to excellence through diversity. We encourage women and members of minority groups to apply. AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.