Senior Manager, Media Relations
Are you searching for a job with purpose? This is your opportunity to contribute your skills and passion to a national non-profit working to build better lives for individuals and families with mental illness.
NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. Since NAMI’s beginning in 1979, we have established ourselves through dedication, commitment and an unceasing belief in our mission to strengthen communities and help those in need. The heart of NAMI is our unrivaled grassroots network of volunteers in communities across the nation. Through our united support, education, advocacy and awareness efforts, NAMI is at the forefront, a recognized force in urging new ideas and solutions to improve lives.
WHAT’S ATTRACTIVE TO THE RIGHT CANDIDATE:
As the national conversation around mental health grows, and NAMI as an organization expands our reach, the Senior Manager, Media will play a critical role in positioning NAMI as the leading voice in the mental health community for individuals and families affected by mental health conditions. This position is perfect for someone who is committed to making a difference and eager to use their media skills in crafting and implementing an earned media strategy that strengthens the voice of the Alliance.
For this position, NAMI is seeking a media-savvy, thoughtful and proactive public relations professional to work with all teams across the Alliance to strengthen the NAMI brand through press and public relations activities. NAMI will look to this position to expand NAMI’s visibility, increase our thought leadership, and ensure that the organization’s strategic vision is being properly communicated in the news and other media.
This position will be expected to meet the following goals:
- Develop and implement a clear, outlined earned media strategy that meets strategic goals and mission of the organization including crafting content to support the strategy.
- Cultivate strong relationships with reporters and targeted publications and manage all earned media daily operations.
- Serve in liaison role to Field Advancement team, providing assistance, creating materials, holding trainings and supporting affiliates in their earned media activities and crisis communications.
- Establish, manage and monitor Key Performance Indicators that support the earned media strategy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Craft intelligent, thoughtful print and digital content to support the strategic public relations goals consistent with NAMI’s organizational priorities.
- Coordinate and manage policies and procedures for the relations between the media and the organization, including building media lists, targeting reporters and utilizing the media management system for tracking and reporting.
- Manage and respond to incoming media requests, ensuring message consistency, spokesperson recommendations, spokesperson prep, coaching and execution, in-concert with the Director as appropriate.
- Identify and target reporters to grow relationships with, including engagement with reporters through social media and media management tools. Also assist in the detection of public relations issues as they emerge and advise to address them directly.
- Draft, disseminate and pitch various media materials including press advisories, media releases, opinion pieces and letters to the editor.
- Assist with the writing, editing, and pitching of content for thought leaders/spokespersons in the field, in-concert with Field Advancement and Advocacy & Public Policy, serving as the primary liaison to the grassroots, providing technical assistance and support as necessary regarding emerging issues or breaking news.
- Work with the Director to support the activities of the staff and field as they relate to media relations including support and updates, creating materials/toolkits and holding trainings.
- Assist with cultivation relationships with national and regional press contacts to ensure NAMI’s reputation is promoted.
- Develop and maintain a schedule of upcoming staff speaking engagements and prepare materials. Draft briefing slides, speeches, and/or talking points for organizational leadership.
- Plan and oversee press events as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in relevant field; advanced degree preferred. Minimum of 5 years public relations experience with 3 of those years working in a high-volume advocacy and/or public policy role. Experience in a public health field.
- Excellent writing and verbal skills
- Communications or journalism background preferred
- Research and analytic skills including ability to use media monitoring and distribution tools (i.e. PR NewsWire, Cision and TrendKite)
- Ability to work collaboratively and diplomatically with strong customer service skills
- Editorial and creative skills
- “News sense”
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment with attention to detail and precision
- Strong interpersonal and cultural awareness skills
- Highly organized; experience in project management; ability to self-manage.
This position is based in Arlington, VA.
Must pass background check.