- Full Time
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
About the Aspen Institute Business & Society Program
The Aspen Institute is a nonpartisan forum for values-based leadership and the exchange of ideas. The Aspen Institute Business and Society Program, founded in 1998, works with business executives and scholars to align business decisions and investments with the long-term health of society—and the planet. Through carefully designed networks, working groups and focused dialogue, the Program identifies and inspires thought leaders and intrapreneurs to challenge conventional ideas about capitalism and markets, to test new measures of business success, and to connect classroom theory and business practice.
About the Communication Manager Role
The Communication Manager has lead responsibility for Aspen BSP’s communication activities. In this newly defined role, you will work across our programs to define communication priorities for our individual activities while raising the profile of Aspen BSP and the issues that we work on. You will help us define and build target audiences for our communications. From social media to story-telling, you will help BSP to translate its deep content expertise – and leverage its network of Fellows and subject matter experts – to grow and engage these external audiences in service to our mission.
In this job, which is equal parts strategy and execution, the ideal candidate will bring clarity and intentionality to our communication activities. He or she will be committed to excellence in execution and able to handle a heavy and sometimes time-sensitive workload without dropping the ball.
This position provides a unique opportunity to help advance the frontiers of responsible business practice.
The Communication Manager, who is based in New York City and reports to the Associate Director, is expected to:
- Work with the BSP team to develop a program-wide communication strategy that includes: Clear articulation of goals; clear articulation of target audiences; tactical path forward to execute the strategy
Execute – Content Creation
- Create and distribute several Aspen BSP newsletters
- Create, or support the creation of, new media content (blog posts, articles, videos, etc.) and lead the distribution of these materials
- Tell stories of our work and our Fellows
- Lead creation and production of marketing materials
- Manage Aspen BSP’s web presence and keep the websites up to date
Execute – Content Distribution
- Define, track and report on measures of success
- Manage and consistently enhance BSP’s social media presence and coach others to develop a social media presence, as needed
- Oversee media placements and relationships with media partners and press.
- Inform and maintain brand standards
- Manage our CRM and oversee the integration of associated technologies
Successful candidates will have:
- 4+ years of professional experience in a communication function
- Experience leading, or contributing to, the development of communication strategy
- Experience executing communication strategy
- Strong perspective on, and facility with, social media
- Excellent writing skills
- Basic web editing skills (candidates must be familiar with WordPress)
- Experience using campaign/newsletter software (e.g., Constant Contact, MailChimp) to build and engage audiences
- Experience using analytics to inform strategy
- Familiarity with other digital tools, including CRMs, Google Suite, and design software (e.g., InDesign, Adobe Photoshop) - this is a strong plus!
- Experience juggling multiple, competing priorities
- A genuine interest in the work of the Business & Society Program and the potential of business to unleash significant social impact.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with city, state and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter articulating your interest in the position and explaining how your capabilities and experience match our requirements: