Client Services Manager
POSITION TITLE: CLIENT SERVICES MANAGER
The Client Services Manager is the lead in the company’s relationship with the client and is accountable for the program profitability from a client perspective and to the benefit of DPEM, ensures that we are fulfilling the work promised and billing appropriately for the work. On behalf of the client, you will monitor the quality of the ongoing and final work product against the client’s brand and business needs. As partner to the Production and Creative departments, the CSM functions as a liaison between the client and DPEM, working with the team to manage and set expectations, track all program deliverables, and drive communications to all team members involved, ensuring that programs run on time, on budget and achieve overarching objectives.
NOTE: This description is built with DPEM’s future state in mind, understanding that some areas may evolve as the agency grows.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees all aspects of client services – working very closely with clients to develop, manage and grow brand initiatives.
- Builds positive and trusting client/agency relationships based on achieving client’s objectives with efficiency and effectiveness, resulting in strong revenue stream and profit to agency.
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with MD and Creative and Production departments.
- Identifies new business opportunities among existing clients, initiates program criteria process with Exec/Core team, and leads appropriate agency action/response.
- Sets strategic direction for growth of clients and projects (annual and on-going).
- Maintains a strategic lead on the client’s industry, key competitors and ongoing solution development as it relates to event marketing solutions.
- Drives short- and long-term strategic planning initiatives focused at driving the business forward:
- Generates and implements new sales and marketing initiatives to increase profitability.
- Incorporates best practices, creative and strategic thinking into the new business process, overseeing annual and ongoing account planning.
- Acts as day-to-day contact for client, driving internal communication to support program execution and client confidence.
- Works closely with each client; listening to them and articulating their situation, goals, and requirements to the Production and Creative teams.
- Handles primary communications, both internal and external, including developing agendas and scheduling conference calls and meetings as it pertains to clients.
- Leads all client-facing meetings.
- Ensures internal communication with core team and extended team is clear, timely and concise.
- Represents client in all aspects of creative development from briefing and development to internal approval and client presentations/revisions.
- Manages all client-specific aspects of execution including project scopes, contracts, program deliverables, budgeting, timelines, metrics, measurement, and post event evaluation.
- Acts as an escalation point for critical client or program issues and provides resolution of escalated issues.
- Owns the MSA/Scope of Work and contracting process.
- Provides post-event write up for case studies to use on website and marketing materials.
- Managing pre- and post-event client gifts.
- Works with Production to reconcile/close program budgets, communicates key budget recommendations and project-specific information to the Managing Director and Operations Manager to inform agency financials.
- Provides financial oversight and monitors project revenue income against project and overhead expenses.
- Proactively manages and forecasts overall program budget in conjunction with the Production team.
- Manages overall program budget review including tracking, billing, reporting, change-orders, and client approvals.
- Provides financial input for ROI analyses on past programs and on program elements for future development.
- Works with Business Operations Manager on client invoicing and receivables in accordance with agency policy.
- Initiates kick-off meeting to engage Creative and Production teams in program ideation.
- Sets a consistent schedule for internal team check-ins and client status meetings.
- Participates in Creative and Production reviews, acting on client’s behalf to proactively address any issues.
- Leads development of presentations and proposals (i.e. pitches, RFP/RFI responses, account updates, recaps, etc) in partnership with Production Director, Director of Creative & Strategy and any add’l critical team members,.
- Organizes brainstorms and idea generation sessions with cross-functions teams
- In conjunction with the Director of Creative & Strategy, distills information from RFP & develops creative briefs to drive innovation, gain key information, and respond to the to the RFP with an impactful and comprehensive proposal.
- Schedules client creative presentation, creative presentation, creative reviews, and partners with Director of Creative and Strategy to lead presentations.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or Communications preferred.
- 8+ years of experience aligned with expectations above in an agency, preferably with experience in an event or experiential agency.
- Substantial proven experience working within a Client Service Department.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with demonstrated experience successfully leading and converting new business opportunities, understanding all stages of the new business process, and successfully scaling teams and business operations to support growth.
- Solid understanding of the operational processes and running of an agency.
- Solid understanding of the business finances and accounting practices.
- Exceptional relationship builder with the ability to operate at a senior and strategic level with key clients and help resolve issues smoothly and effectively.
- Must have managed budgets of +$5M in the past.
- Clear communicator who is able to give strong and consistent direction to a team. Comfortable delegating responsibilities so as not to get bogged down in minor details.
- Commitment/deadline driven and proven ability to manage multiple opportunities at a high level effectively.
- Strategic thinker with an excellent understanding of key industry influences and the ability to apply this thinking to a variety of clients and brands.
QUALITIES FOR SUCCESS
- Excellent people manager with ability to recruit and retain high functioning employees; naturally driven to inspire, motivate, and mentor.
- Strong cultural, DPEM and client fit (passionate, professional, outgoing, creative, leader, shared values, work ethic, team mentality, collaborative).
- Viewed as a strong, respected and inspiring leader by current leadership, peers, clients, and direct reports.
- Business and emotional maturity.
- Gravitas and charm. Has presence in a room, ability to earn respect and influence people.
- Flexibility, stamina, relentless high energy, drive, and pro-activeness. Ability to get things done despite obstacles.
- Self-starter who is confident in their own abilities and decision-making.