Assistant Managing Editor
Assistant Managing Editor
Editor will be asked to bring ideas, inspiration and constant guidance to the content team. Reporting directly to the Executive Editor, the Assistant Managing Editor will work with a team to actively oversee and direct the deployment of resources across various publishing platforms daily and weekly.
Looking for an editor with great ideation, as well as a solid news sense, an ability to make snap judgments about the proper treatment of stories, and a high level of confidence in orchestrating the many simultaneous actions of the editorial team members. Looking for a talented editor who can think big and ambitious each week, as well as with a view of packaging stories/information/data in print, online and mobile.
Editor must have a sophisticated read on the sports business. Organization must be a strength, and person must be willing to be open-minded while willing to serve as a change agent in the newsroom, actively advocating for the improvements and resources that take SportsBusiness Journal’s content to the next level.
Must be willing to conduct outreach into the sports community. Editor must be willing to work with reporters to shape content, find holes in stories, offer ideas on sourcing, and serve as a mentor for reporters, helping pave their way to continual improvement, learning and growth. Must adhere to excellence, with the highest standards and ethics. Communication skills are critical for the standards, mood, expectations and culture.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of management and/or team leadership experience required
- Comfortable operating in rapidly changing media environment
- Daily, and preferably weekly, print experience for a business news operation
- Beat reporter experience preferable
- Experience working with sports and business news
- Strong wordsmith who has demonstrated a talent for reporter and story development
- Serves as inspiring, motivational force in newsroom
- Hands-on experience in guiding and contributing to large-scale editorial projects
- Exposure to online environment and social media; blogging and online reporting a plus
- Collaborative, innovative, critical thinker
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities, work schedules and/or location may change based on evolving business needs
- Makes sure content assignments are made, story and production deadlines adhered to and editorial standards met
- Develop, oversee and edit stories
- Participate and manage production of all print copy
- Set and meet production deadlines
- Manage reporters and steer reporters toward beat-driven hard news breaks and scoops; work directly with reporters and manage them throughout the day on stories of all types
- Supervise and work with reporters to add context, perspective and voice to their content
- Work with Executive Editor to meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement such as page views, unique users, repeat visits, direct traffic, social media followings and growth, email newsletter circulation growth, paid print subscribership, event attendance, and other such measures
- Orchestrate staff-produced content – images, charts, info graphics -- for multiple products across multiple platforms. Specifically, this requires conceptualizing story-telling strategies with reporters and making snap decisions on where best to route content
- Work with Executive Editor to determine story treatment and placement
- Manage and prioritize reporter activities to maximize the results for our audience
- Identify and coordinate with freelance writers to ensure content for print/online product
- Active participation in daily news meeting
- Regularly participate in and attend SportsBusiness Journal-sponsored events
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s)
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and sources
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
General office environment. Extensive computer use required. Some travel required. Ability to work flexible work schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
Job is based in Charlotte, N.C., and reports to executive editor. If interested, send a brief cover letter, resume and examples of your work
Apply for Assistant Managing Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly