Reporter-Fan Experience, Facilities and Venues
- Full Time
Reporter - Fan Experience, Facilities and Venues
Must have a strong interest and appreciation for the sports business and customer experience. Must be interested in real estate and related development and be comfortable and a fast learner on complex financial data, information and trends.The successful candidate will cultivate sources and dig out stories in the many sectors — teams, designers and builders, foodservice, sponsorship and more — that make up the sports facilities business, produce compelling pieces that get people in the industry talking, and work collaboratively with our other reporters and researchers to comprehensively cover the beat. Reporters must marry strong traditional skills – source building, sharp interviewing techniques, strong analytical and investigative reporting skills, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Expected to contribute both short-form (daily online posts) and long-form (print) stories to our news products. Breaking news and being out front on news is a priority, vital to owning one’s beat and establishing credibility with their audience. One must also identify the most influential newsmakers and interpret the news on their beats with authority.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Writing pieces for the weekly magazine, from breaking news to features and packages.
- Contributing stories to our daily online products, SportsBusiness Daily and SportsBusiness Daily Global.
- Identifying companies and executives from the beat for inclusion in awards programs such as the Sports Business Awards.
- Assisting in the planning of conferences, particularly our Facilities & Franchises event.
- Take on any other assignments made by editors.
Must work collaboratively as part of our team and professionally with sources, often on deadline pressure. Some travel required, including for the openings of major stadiums and arenas.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum three years journalism experience
- Exceptional source development and news judgment
- Strong writing, analytical and investigative interviewing skills
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person and online, and to develop sources and an audience
- Big-picture thinking in coming up with ideas for packages, including accompanying research
- Experience in using multi-media to tell stories
- Social media savvy
- Experience covering the facilities industry, real estate or sports business
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s)
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources
General office environment. Extensive computer use required. Some travel required. Ability to work flexible work schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
Job is based in Charlotte, N.C., and reports to executive editor. If interested, send a brief cover letter, resume and examples of your work