The Education section at U.S. News & World Report seeks an experienced, full-time editor based in our Washington, D.C., office who will be responsible for planning, assigning and editing consumer-focused content for usnews.com/education.
In this role, the senior editor will edit multiple online pieces – which can include articles, blog posts, slideshows and interactive content – on a daily basis. This talented individual will work closely with in-house editors, reporters/writers and digital producers as well as external freelance bloggers and writers – with responsibilities ranging from reviewing and approving story pitches to managing reporters and the flow of copy.
In addition to daily editing, the senior editor will help plan and edit content to supplement the online launches of U.S. News’ hallmark rankings, including Best Colleges, Best Graduate Schools and Best Online Programs.
Our online articles – typically around 700-750 words and aimed at an audience of prospective students and parents – explore education trends, dispel myths and contain actionable advice for readers looking to make informed choices about higher education. Our daily mission is to help applicants and families research, apply to and pay for school, as well as continue to grow our audience via new, enterprising and data-driven content.
We're looking for a candidate with top-notch web editing skills – encompassing both copy editing and content/structural editing – who is also knowledgeable about U.S. and international higher education. Please note: This is not a writing position and does not involve content related to breaking news or education policy.
- Proven editing skills in an online journalism environment, with at least five years of experience.
- Interest in and knowledge of both U.S. and international higher education.
- Ability to multitask and work on deadlines in a fast-paced, digital environment.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Expertise using AP style.
- Experience with content management systems.
- Experience with data journalism.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and online analytics reporting.
- Supervisory or managerial experience.
- Willingness to contribute as needed as a member of a small but growing team.
- Experience with developing and maintaining relationships with freelancers is a plus.
- College degree or equivalent.
Applicants must provide both a cover letter and resume.
We are offering a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes health care, dental, vision and 401(k) plan.