Editorial Assistant, Trending and Viral Features
POPSUGAR is looking for a hard-working, fast-moving, internet-obsessed Editorial Assistant to join our Trending and Viral Features team working evenings and weekends in San Francisco. Our ideal candidate is a lifestyle and pop culture junkie with a smart, fun voice and a healthy habit of checking Instagram and Twitter every 30 seconds. If you’re the first to spot a trend in the making, live on Reddit and Tumblr, and have a knack for writing shareable headlines and witty ledes, we want to talk to you!
In this role, you will . . .
- Scour the web on a regular basis to uncover new trending topics
- Produce timely, clickable stories based on trending topics, using own research and as assigned by site editors, Trending Editor, and Assistant Trending Editor
- Create thoughtful, in-depth seasonal and themed features based on team and network brainstorms
- Consider analytics and previous successes to pitch strategic, winning story ideas
- Support editors with trending content creation during special events, including award shows and Fashion Week, working quickly and cleanly in real-time
- Send daily trending digest emails to editorial team, curating the most relevant trending content on the web
- Attend and participate in trending team meetings, editorial staff meetings, and brainstorms
In order to thrive in this role, you must have . . .
- 1-2 years of experience in digital media, writing/editing, or a related field
- A healthy obsession with social media, and active accounts across multiple social platforms
- The ability to work evenings and weekends and make autonomous decisions about trending coverage as needed
- Super strong writing and communication skills. Our trending team works quick and clean!
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment. At POPSUGAR, we move fast, take risks, and cheer each other on!
- The ability to stay ahead of trends and adapt to new and changing tasks and priorities on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- A familiarity with and passion for the POPSUGAR brand. This is a non-negotiable must-have.
- HTML and Photoshop skills are a plus!