Managing Editor - Niche Content
Marijuana Business Daily (MJBizDaily), the most trusted trade publisher serving entrepreneurs, executives and major investors in America's $6 billion cannabis industry since 2011, is seeking a Managing Editor of Niche Content to join our staff. This full-time position is based in our Denver office and offers a competitive salary, paid time off, 401(k) and health benefits.
As seen in Inc Magazine, Forbes and Harvard Business Review, we are an award-winning, professional and fast-growing publisher. We keep a strict "church & state" division between the editorial and sales teams so our content staff can produce high-quality, unbiased content and conferences that help our readers build stronger businesses.
The Managing Editor of Niche Content will oversee a team of reporters and analysts creating in-depth news services, reports and business events for emerging markets including industrial hemp, legal cannabis business activities outside the U.S., the financial industry (M&As, private equity, Wall Street & the like), and professionals interested in detailed business data related to the marijuana industry.
This position involves working directly with specialist journalists in each niche as an editor as well as helping to guide the future of their publications and related products (such as premium reports and business conferences) to make sure they produce high-quality, reader-pleasing content - and that the content is also properly publicized and profitable. This is a great role for an editor who would like to grow into being a publisher someday and move from managing content to managing a multi-million dollar line of business.
Initially, your role will focus on:
- Assigning and approving content ideas
- Editing content on deadline for organization, readability and accuracy. Content includes stories, briefs, charts/graphics and business reports (from 10 pages to more than 200).
- Writing headlines that are compelling to the right audience and incorporate strong SEO
- Putting together analytics reports that track the performance of different content
- Helping team members improve their skills
- Creating and proofing daily and weekly e-newsletters with assistance from IT and marketing
- At least five years of editing experience at business publications and/or companies that produce business content (important: those without solid experience editing business/B2B content will not be considered)
- Experience managing a team of journalists
- Experience working in a digital-first editorial environment
- Demonstrable ability to analyze and/or work with data, including basic statistics and the financial industry
- An understanding of SEO and the importance of keywords
- An understanding of how to craft content for mobile viewership
- Hands-on experience with social media
- Knowledge of AP style
A strong interest in business analysis of the news. A basic knowledge of corporate finance, stocks and investing content. A demonstrated interest as a businessperson who understands great content can't survive unless you can create secure revenue streams based on it. A background in helping develop content for business conferences. Experience editing long documents such as a business book or report.
Founded in 2011, Marijuana Business Daily publishes exclusive daily news, a monthly print magazine and annual numbers-based research reports. The company currently produces three annual trade shows: MJBizCon in Las Vegas every November, MJBizConNEXT in New Orleans each May and a new show, MJBizConINT'L each summer.
The full-time position is based in our Denver, Colorado office. References will be checked and background checks will be conducted. Marijuana Business Daily is a division of Anne Holland Ventures Inc. We are an equal opportunity employer.