Sr. Director, SparkNotes
SparkNotes is a leading study aids website offering free online access to literature notes and more than 1,000 study guides on everything from literature to chemistry to computer science. SparkNotes has converted its top study guides into print publications, and they have rapidly become bestsellers.
This role will work closely with the Chief Digital Officer (CDO) and key corporate and operational executives to create and execute an innovative business strategy for new products and revenue streams, such as B2B and B2C digital products and physical products.
- Assess the existing Sparknotes strategy, asset base, and market potential to formulate a 1, 2 and 5-year business roadmap to expand and grow the business and drive revenue.
- Drive the editorial, product, creative, engineering, and marketing teams to execute the roadmap.
- Build and effectively manage Sparknotes P&L budget and expense structure.
- Work closely with product management and engineering teams to translate the business roadmap to a product and development roadmap to quantify initial and ongoing investment.
- Champion business strategy and product roadmap within the organization to align company goals and priorities with Sparknotes strategy.
- Collaborate with Barnes & Noble leadership to identify ways to integrate Sparknotes into the Barnes & Noble ecosystem and manage these relationships to meet the company needs.
- Work closely with the engineering team to improve and evolve the Sparknotes platform architecture.
- Ensure that internal groups (Product and Project Managers, systems groups, technical teams) investigate issues, establish processes, and execute solutions on a timely basis.
- Oversees daily operations including sales and data analytics to ensures all work is quantitatively measured, evaluated, and optimized.
- Defines, achieves and maintains individual and team goals on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Experience leading, managing and motivating teams
- Self-starter, exhibits drive, resourcefulness and enthusiasm; proactive in identifying and pursuing opportunities
- Experience in creating educational products or content sites that can attract millions of users
- Strong management, organization, time-management, prioritization, multi-tasking, independent-decision making, problem-solving, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Proven ability to foster excellent communication and collaboration across multiple teams and disciplines
- Works well under deadlines
- At least 7 years experience managing a team in a digital product environment
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in literature.