Social Media Editor
At Timeline, we believe that history is filled with extraordinary and vibrant stories. We also believe that it’s impossible to make sense of today without understanding the people and events that came before. That’s why we’ve made it our mission to surface extraordinary accounts of the past and, in the process, change the way people think about the present. We are particularly interested in stories about the groups and communities that are often underrepresented in traditional accounts of history.
We’re seeking an experienced social media editor to run our editorial output across key social channels. The successful candidate will:
- Manage and improve all aspects of our existing work on Facebook and Twitter in order to increase engagement, followers, and site referrals.
- Collaborate with the Timeline team to develop and implement social publishing best practices.
- Resurface timely and relevant content from the Timeline archives.
- Create original social-only content, such as short videos, images, and GIFs.
- Partner with the editorial team to develop new editorial operations on other social platforms.
- Help create and implement our paid membership program.
- Moderate and engage with the Timeline audience on social platforms.
- Work with and identify social partners to ensure that our content reaches a wide audience.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least one year’s experience with social media publishing, including use of key analytical tools and techniques.
- A passion for telling stories on social networks.
- An intuitive sense of the factors that make content go viral on social media.
- An intense interest in current affairs and history.
- The ability to create smart and snappy copy on tight deadlines.
- Experience creating social content, with examples.
- Experience engaging with and moderating online communities.
If you’re excited by the chance to help us develop a new kind of journalism, and to work at a well-funded San Francisco startup during one of the most exciting periods of media innovation in history, we encourage you to apply.
Timeline is run out of a small and friendly office in San Francisco’s Design District. We offer competitive salaries and health benefits.
Please email email@example.com. Note the position you are applying for in the subject line and include the following:
- Conversational cover letter. Please include a short critique of our existing output on social media and at least two things you would do to improve it.