Senior Associate, Digital Strategy
The Pew Charitable Trusts is driven by the power of knowledge to solve today's most challenging problems. Pew applies a rigorous, analytical approach to improve public policy, inform the public and invigorate civic life. We are an independent nonprofit organization – the sole beneficiary of seven individual trusts established between 1948 and 1979 by two sons and two daughters of Sun Oil Company founder Joseph N. Pew and his wife, Mary Anderson Pew. Our work lays the foundation for effective policy solutions by informing and engaging citizens, linking diverse interests to pursue common cause and insisting on tangible results. Our projects encourage efficient, responsive governments – at the local, state, national and international levels – serving the public interests. With offices in Philadelphia, Washington DC, Australia, Brussels and London, and with additional staff in other regions of the United States and around the globe, Pew provides an exciting learning environment and the opportunity to work with highly talented individuals. We are a dynamic, rapidly evolving organization that values creativity and innovative thinking and fosters strong teamwork with mutual respect. Communications Department:
The Communications department plays an instrumental role in positioning Pew to achieve our programmatic and institutional goals. Our Communications team provides a comprehensive range of services for all programmatic and administrative units and Trusts-operated projects. Our in-house expertise includes: strategy and message development; multi-channel digital engagement strategy; creative strategy and digital production; editorial support and media event planning. The unit oversees all communications policies, guidelines and processes in order to manage the Pew brand, ensure the production of the highest quality work and effectively steward Pew's resources. Position Overview:
The Senior Associate, Digital Strategy position is located in Washington, DC and is a member of the Digital and Creative team. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and execution of a variety of cross-channel digital engagement strategies for Pew programs. The ideal candidate will have experience developing effective, cross-channel digital strategies that drive engagement and achieve organizational results. He/she will actively partner with a team of communications, digital and creative strategists to develop and execute content marketing campaigns.
- Works collaboratively to enhance our approach to developing holistic content strategies for both programmatic and institutional objectives.
- Contributes to the planning and development of Pew's editorial calendar.
- Contributes to the advancement of Pew's approach to editorial and content strategy that effectively engages audiences across digital channels.
- Collaborates with other strategists, creative teams, earned and paid media experts, analytics lead, and program staff to develop compelling digital content plans.
- Develops and refines copy for a variety of digital content including social and email.
- Builds relationships with internal program teams and develop a deep understanding of program needs, goals, and priorities. Identifies new opportunities for achieving project objectives.
- Collaborates with design and video teams as well as other communications staff on the development of visual assets for all digital content.
- Contributes to the development of social media management standards, policies, and rules of engagement for social channels.
- Keeps abreast of the latest digital trends to inform creative approaches as well as to aid internal knowledge sharing.
- Depending on campaign requirements, the senior associate can act as a day-to-day digital and/or functional lead on a variety of digital campaign activities.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of four years of professional experience with progressive responsibility for developing integrated digital strategy and campaign execution, preferably at a digital or creative agency, nonprofit or association.
- Ability to develop cross-channel digital content strategies that meet organizational goals.
- Ability to work individually and collaboratively to develop and refine creative ideas, build consensus, and influence decisions.
- Experience developing and executing issue-driven digital engagement campaigns designed to inform target audiences as well as recruit and activate grassroots advocates.
- Exceptional skill with written and verbal communications and ability to effectively communicate strategic recommendations.
- Deep working knowledge of the social and digital ecosystem, including working relationships with social platforms and partners.
- Strategic and hands-on understanding of the role that paid media plays in modern, cross-channel content marketing campaigns.
- Proven experience developing content concepts and then turning those concepts into effective, channel-specific copy.
- Experience presenting and articulating integrated digital strategy, including campaign goals, objectives, and how success is measured.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, juggle multiple projects, and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Can turn ideas into clear, actionable plans.
- Experience developing and conducting ongoing content performance tests and implementing optimizations.
- Hands-on experience with Google Analytics and the Facebook and Twitter pixels.
- Experience conducting conversation analyses with social media listening/monitoring tools such as Crimson Hexagon, Brandwatch, Nuvio, or Sysomos, preferred.
- Experience working with tools like CrowdTangle to identify relevant content trends and performance across social platforms, preferred.
- Experience with editorial and social media management tools such as Sprout Social or Hootsuite Enterprise, preferred.
- Ability to analyze data from all digital channels, drawing insights from the data to inform future recommendations and strategies.
- Exceptional judgment when working with team members, client contacts, and vendors.
- Must be willing to occasionally work a flexible schedule to ensure support for Pew's international campaigns and to provide support during breaking-news situations.
- Hands-on experience managing the tactical elements of paid media flighting across digital and social channels a plus.
- Experience with email software such as Eloqua or ExactTarget a plus.
- Experience with conservation issues a plus.
As this is a full-time position, we offer a competitive salary and complete benefit program, including: comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using health savings and flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to help you maintain a good balance.
Minimal travel anticipated. The Pew Charitable Trusts is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Pew considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, sex, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, military/veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.