Assistant Editor - News
- Full Time
Assistant Editor, News
The Assistant Editor, News, for The Points Guy, is responsible for assigning, writing and editing news and feature articles covering credit cards, loyalty programs, personal finance, travel and aviation. The right candidate has impeccable news judgment, a nose for timely topics, and knack for developing engaging stories with original, on-brand angles, with a quick (often same-day) turnaround. This is a position for a hungry news junkie who loves travel and aviation, hates getting scooped, and isn't afraid to pick up a phone. Some travel required.
· Monitor headlines throughout the day and quickly identify and act on stories that fit the TPG brand
· Reporting on, editing and writing 5-7 stories a day
· Work with the larger team to develop on-brand follow angles for big stories
· Develop social media promotional copy for Facebook, Twitter, etc.
· Attend editorial meetings and industry events
· Some nights and weekends required
· 3-5+ years experience as a full-time writer or editor
· Enthusiasm for travel/points/aviation/credit cards
· Ability to write, self-edit and publish a ~300-word news post in 30 minutes
· Superb attention to detail, even under deadline
· Passion for awards travel and aviation that will translate to fun, engaging editorial
· Strong sense of urgency, ability to manage details and projects while responding to changing priorities and feedback
· Familiarity with social media is best
You must have a desire to work for a fast paced, best in class company. We are looking for people that want to continue their growth and enjoy an incredible work environment.